Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Road salt and Alloys

Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road salt and Alloys

So, i didn't get the Pro Comps off before the snow flew and then procrastinated on taking them off. I cleaned them up today but there is still salt residue/marks. It hasn't pitted or rusted. Anyone got some good tips for get the remaining residue off before they get real damaged? I was using Armor All wheel cleaner.

If i had to do over, i would have found a nice wheel that came clear coated.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Polish with Mothers Mag polish. It does take some elbow grease!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Are the wheels chrome or polished?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

If they aren't pitted, then yes, use the Mothers. If you find that the damage is more than just discoloration, go to Napa and buy their Aluminum Wheel Cleaner. Comes in a white bottle and is the Napa brand. Be careful because it will etch the rim surface, but if they have any pits you can't remove by polishing, it will take care of them. Leaves the rim a satin finish, but is easily polished out. It is some amazing stuff and blows away anything by the other brand names, just be very careful, it will eat through just about anything including your hands.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Junkie

If they arent pitted too bad, try Mother's powerball and the power aluminum polish. Its alot easier then trying to polish them out by hand.

Quick Reply: Road salt and Alloys