Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Hard Rear Bumper

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i to have the rockhard bumper and it rattles like crazy , i just turn up the tunes till i cant hear it. I thought in the beginning it was the latch so called rockhard and they sent me out new bearings,seals and basically a whole new latch. Istalled it all again and rattles from the latch are still there. On a washboard road it pop out of the second part of the latch and just rattle in the 1st part. I have having a local 4x4 shop weld a better latch on

This all is a bit wierd really. they are using the same latch they always have and we have not had any troubles at all with it. if the latch it popping out the swingaway is not aligned properly.

I will email rockhard this link and see what they have to say about all this.

David
Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many washers did you put on the bottom of the swing away where it rides on the spindle? If you're riding with too many washers down there, the swing away won't sit on that rubber bumper beside the striker. That'll cause it to rattle like crazy.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSO2415
FYI, I have the Rock Hard bumper/tire carrier and the rattles are driving me insane. I have tried numerous times to contact Rock Hard but I have been unsuccessful. I just wanted to let everyone know that this bumper appears to be a quality product but there are some issues with it. If anyone has some suggestions on what to do, please let me know.
RH is as easy as any company to get a hold of. 90% of the time, Louie, the owner answers the phone. They're great people and make a great product.

I think you need to go over your install. Mine is quiet.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any updates? I was considering purchasing one of these as well.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah spoke with James at rockhard and he would like anybody who is having a problem to call him directly and he will help you out.

David
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

I wanted to post a followup in regards to the problem, James did help me with a solution to my rusting problem and has also sent some different bumpers to help with my clanking and will try this weekend to see if that resolvces my issue.

Thanks David for contacting James in regards to this and thanks to James for helping me out.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

The bumper materials and design are first quality; it was the ONLY bumper I could find built of 1/4 " instead of 3/16" steel. With any humanly-constructed product there will be variations in output but within specification. In my case, the variations added up to a swing arm that would not ride on the plastic block when closed... even with a stack of spacers on top of the spindle. No load on the rubbing block = a bit of noise on the trail from the mass of the tire / swing inevitably moving up and down a bit.

HOWEVER, the folks at RockHard have been great in offering possibile solutions ... to the point of FedExing to me a loaner die to shorten / re-thread the spindle! James has been attentive to every concern and I would rate these folks on a par with Dillon Precison for customer service. James has been available directly on the telephone and also returned calls promptly. In a word ... FANTASTIC service.

Buy the RockHard rear bumper/ swing and you will love it ... of course, that assumes that you will take the time to adjust it properly with appropriate pre-loads on the tire swiing ... both horizontally and vertically.

Last edited by mefly2; 06-04-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

How much did you get paid to type that?
Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's a cheap shot green-a;

I am in no way connected with Rock Hard ... just a jeep driver since the mid 1960's and a person who appreciates quality products with folks that stand behind them. The secret to any tire/swing or mechanical product is making certain that it is adjusted properly! That is why military aircraft spend so much time on the ground in maintenance. Heck, even my Rolex requires periodic adjustment and maintenance.

I feel that I can offer my experiences here just like the next person. I am now able to offer an opinion as well - earned that right finally, too, as I've made it over 60 years ... starting with USN aviator training and working up through law enforcement. Oh, yes ... I also spent a bit of time as a certified welder - teaching welding / auto shop and building wood stoves from initial design through delivery.
I do appreciate quality and customer service!!!

Last edited by mefly2; 06-04-2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mefly2
That's a cheap shot green-a; I am in no way connected with Rock Hard ... just a jeep driver since the mid 1960's and appreciate quality products with folks that stand behind them. The secret to any tire/swing or mechanical product is making certain that it is adjusted properly! That is why military aircraft spend so much time on the gropund in maintenance. I feel that I can offer my experiences just like the next person. After all I am now able to offer an opinion as well - I have made it over 60 years starting with USN aviator training and working up through law enforcement. Oh, yes ... I also spent a bit of time teaching welding and building wood stoves from initial design through delivery. I do appreciate quality and customer service!!!
was just a joke man relax....

Quick Reply: Rock Hard Rear Bumper