JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rock Hard Rear Bumper (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rock-hard-rear-bumper-83755/)

PainKiller 08-15-2010 02:27 AM

Just finished "semi "installing the rockhard rear bumper and tire carrier. i had to spray the Jeep frame with silicone spray and the inside of the bumper to get it to slide on, then the 2 center bolts wouldn't line up so i had to drill out the frame where the bolts go through into the bumper and only got one to go in. took the bumper back off again and ran both bolts in to center holes because i figured there might be powder coating in them. reinstalled the bumper and still only got one to thread in. the muffler is a PITA to work around ! ! finished bolting the rest of the bumper up and then one of the inside frame mount bolts wouldn't go, so it's into the A.M. hours and i will try a longer bolt tomorrow when i go to the hardware store.mine isn't setting on the plastic bottom plate either so i am calling rockhard monday morning so i can tell them my situation and possible fix. the bumper is nice and heavy duty and well built........might just be that the 2010 models have a little bit different bolt pattern for the center bolts ?

Crasher 08-15-2010 06:10 AM

For the other center bolt, taper the end of the bolt with a grinder. Be sure and spin a nut on first, so the threads are reformed when the nut is spun off over the tapered end. It should then start into the hole and pull right in. I had to do that along with others.

PainKiller 08-15-2010 01:28 PM

Thanks Crasher, I will give it a try and post up :thumbsup:

mefly2 12-14-2018 12:28 PM

Rock Hard JK bumper / tire swing Update: 9 years later

About 9 - going on ten - years ago I purchased a Rock Hard rear bumper with tire swing. The swing arm had likely shifted in the jig while it was being welded together at Rock Hard because I never could achieve "perfect" alignment. I called and talked to Lewie and James and we came up with several different possible interim solutions without having to send the tire swing back to them. RH was always going to send out a new tire swing, but ... I got it quieted down (never quire silenced completely) and life moved on...three sets of wheels and two sets of tires on Montana jeeping roads. It has been a great bumper / tire swing and is now ready to be removed and welded locally to try and get everything "squared up" and refinished. Would I buy it again? ABSOLUTELY !!!
The powder coating started to corrode along the top edge after about a year and a half - but it has not gotten progressively worse; in fact, the side slider bars under the doors and the jeep 's frame look much more corroded than does the rear bumper / swing assembly. It is mostly due to the chemicals which they spray on the roads to de-ice them in the winter. The bumper has proven its worth for an extended period of time now - as I imagine that we purchased one of the first units that they shipped out for a JK series Wrangler.
More to the point of this update ... the folks at Rock Hard have been super at every turn when I have called for advice or assistance. Due to the swing arm geometry being off just a bit, the assembly has "eaten" many of the rubber bumper stops both at the tailgate and the lower bumper, itself. The bumper / tire swing has a lifetime warranty and I am here to tell you that Rock Hard has supplied me with a number of rubber bump stops at no charge. Once, I was billed for them; but then when I called needing more rubber bump stops, Jason told me that I should have never had to pay for them previously - and he sent out another set of rubber bump stops and a refund for the previous charges!
That kind of warranty support is something that you rarely see in this day and age ... especially AFTER 9 years! Thank you Jason and the folks at Rock Hard for superior customer care !!!

jordy 12-16-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by mefly2 (Post 4332685)
About 9 - going on ten - years ago...

So about the same time this thread originally started? :cool: