Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 09-08-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up with the incompetence of shops to properly install these arms and suspension kits?

i mean theres a shop with Jeep in its name in south florida, and the techs are incompetent. among other incompetent shops.

my front uppers had the front jam nuts torqued against the axle side joint(not torqued against the control arm tube.), meaning the shop has no idea how a turnbuckle style, on vehicle adjustable control arm works. leaving me with a ticking time bomb. the control arms COULD have worked loose, leaving me ass over head dead on the highway. if i had these issues, who else out there in south florida is driving ticking time bombs.

ANYONE IN SOUTH FLORIDA!!! if you had a shop that you feel may not have been the best, install a suspension kit, feel free to call and visit me, id love to take a look and check alignments/torque values, and proper installs.

drove the jeep, it wasnt right, layed under the jeep for hours finding most joints misaligned in brackets, many jam nuts on uppers and lowers loose, and sway bar end links installed improperly.

my major concern is torque on jam nuts for control arms.... lose a trackbar at speed, you can probably slow down and stop safely...lose a control arm or two at speed, you may end up dead. this goes for all manufacturer control arms, including stock arms and mounting bolts.(

everyone should have their suspension installs brought back to their shops a few hundred miles after install for a re torque. Follow the Directions and youll be ok. but i promise the shop did not follow directions.

why all of this you ask?

left rear upper was not torqued, worked its way into the tire, now i have a damaged tire, damaged paint on control arm, and possible bend somewhere in the control arm mounts axle side/ or hub. Jeep dealer is inspecting..

Last edited by jkjouster; 09-08-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think that's in issue for many, I know in my area not many shops I can trust, so I have been doing everything on my vehicles for several years now.
I don't know if it's lack of training or what?

2015 Hydro Blue JKU
Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkjouster
why all of this you ask? left rear upper was not torqued, worked its way into the tire, now i have a damaged tire, damaged paint on control arm, and possible bend somewhere in the control arm mounts axle side/ or hub. Jeep dealer is inspecting..
I'll be the first one to say it:
pics or it didn't happen!
Old 09-09-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Junkie

Not uncommon, i talked to a guy local who had his x-factor installed at a 4x4 place. Said the guy had to call RK multiple times for help.. Really .. ?
Whats so hard to understand.. Set wheelbase with lowers, then set pinion angles with uppers. Check axles for squareness, Alignment - caster, steering wheel center .. Lock jam nuts down and DONE.

If you dont have the tools to properly torque shit down take a paint pen and mark all the jam nuts.
At least you can see if they're loose and fix it.

Last edited by kjeeper10; 09-09-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Still waiting on an answer for why I lost my bushing out of my sway bar quick disconnect link..
Old 09-10-2016, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_JKU
Still waiting on an answer for why I lost my bushing out of my sway bar quick disconnect link..
It isn't a big deal, grab some channel locks, spray it with WD or similar and pop it back in. Mine occasionally come out when I'm trying to force the links back on at the end of wheeling while the grease is all gone. It's a 20 second fix. I've seen them also rock out of the steel link if you go proud and leave them pinned on and go over a bunch a ruts and stuff. Easy fix, not an issue, unless it's happening while you drive on paved roads.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else ever have issues with the Schrader valves on the RRD shocks?

Less then two weeks on the jeep, with zero off road use, and my drivers side front starts getting bouncy; I inspect the shock to find that the schrader valve is gone. Rock Krawler said I had to of done something to have knocked it off... perhaps an ice chunk hit it? Though seems unlikely, especially considering the upper portion of the shock was sitting behind an aluminum fender liner.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kbp810
Anyone else ever have issues with the Schrader valves on the RRD shocks? Less then two weeks on the jeep, with zero off road use, and my drivers side front starts getting bouncy; I inspect the shock to find that the schrader valve is gone. Rock Krawler said I had to of done something to have knocked it off... perhaps an ice chunk hit it? Though seems unlikely, especially considering the upper portion of the shock was sitting behind an aluminum fender liner.
I've got 60,000 miles on mine with no issues. We wheel once or twice every 8 weeks. I do need to pull them before spring and have them rebuilt. I've noticed they are getting a little softer over the past month.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK
I've got 60,000 miles on mine with no issues. We wheel once or twice every 8 weeks. I do need to pull them before spring and have them rebuilt. I've noticed they are getting a little softer over the past month.
Good to hear - I couldn't find any other info to suggest this was a known or typical issue. And RK is helping me out with getting this one repaired.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just posted my RK Max Travel kit install details if anyone is interested. Some important points in there if RK is watching.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...3/#post4267338

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members