Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members

Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had RK 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 coils. I had sag problems and had a set replaced under warranty after jumping several hoops (the second set also started sagging at which time I went another route instead of jumping thru the hoops). my current coils are linear and they ride just as good as the triple rates did which was very good and unlike the RK 2.5 have not sagged yet.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffs JK
Hey guys, put 2.5 flex kit on our 08 jku a few months ago. Sat pefectly level right after. Its settled about 3/4+" over the last few months, stock bumper etc.
Just put on a new bumper and obviously its even a little lower now. Im concerned when we add a winch its gonna be even worse. any suggestions? Would it be terrible to run a 1' puck up front?
Replace the coils, that's a good recommendation. No issues running the extra spacer.
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
We plan for the weight of added accessories when developing spring rates. However, we plan for equal balance of weight, so if you add a steel front bumper and no added weight in the rear, it will lean towards the front. if you add a winch and still make no changes to weight in the rear, if will lean more towards the front. Your options are to add a spacer or taller spring to the front, or add weight to the rear with a steel bumper, tire carrier, corner armor etc.

Adam C
The equal weight thing is all shit. I had a stubby steel bumper with a winch (syn line) on the front, soft top and stock tire in the back.....the back sagged 3/4" over the front. The remedy from RK was to add a spacer. Now you're saying that the coils are designed for weight? They aren't.

2dr, 2.5" (realistically only 2") coils for sale.....$100 and cover shipping. Anyone can do their own experiments on the coils, I'm through with them.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Triple rate springs have a softer spring rate in the first zone and the ride zone as compared to our old linear rate and or progressive rate coils by a good amount. So, they did hold extra loads better, but they did not ride as good nor did they perform as well. Of course everything on a forum is an opinion and that is our opinion on performance and ride. The rate statements are facts. That does not mean our coils do not hold loads. The stress levels in our coil spring wires are extremely low and all coils can go almost solid before they get to a high stress level. However, if you are doing an expedition style build or overland style build, we do recommend going up a coil size in the rear to compensate for the loading condition of that build. Most builds are unique to individuals and stance is subjective so to each their own.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I have had RK 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 coils. I had sag problems and had a set replaced under warranty after jumping several hoops (the second set also started sagging at which time I went another route instead of jumping thru the hoops). my current coils are linear and they ride just as good as the triple rates did which was very good and unlike the RK 2.5 have not sagged yet.
I know you're running the same linear springs as myself now, just with different shocks. Mine have been on for 2 years, no sag and no rust and ride quality seems good to me. It's re-assuring hearing from someone like yourself who has experience with both, that the ride quality is similar, instead of hearing the stereo typical marketing B.S.

I'm really just trying to get some real information to the benefits of the triple or dual rate coils. To me it all just sounds like sales and marketing B.S. where these manufacturers have jumped on the marketing band wagon and published all the usual benefit information associated with multi-rate coils but seems like it's all being misapplied in the offroad community where all those benefits are largely being negated on the JK platform due to the weights can vary so much between different owners, where it seems you're really taking a shot in the dark and hoping your rig fits into the coil manufacturer's intended and assumed design weight mold.

What I would like to see is similar to what TheDirtman described but further dumbed down so I don't have to do the math. I would like the manufacturers to provide the JK's stock 4 corner weight distribution and then the additional 4 corner weight that was applied due to accessory additions, along with a +/- weight tolerance that can be used to meet those dialed in coil rates. That way when I'm adding accessories I have some idea that I'm doing so in a manner that was intended for those springs to actually get the intended benefits.

Probably, too much to ask for since it's likely in the best interest of the manufacturers to keep the customers in the dark about these things and to not start promoting getting custoners to start asking the questions they should likely be asking when they're shopping for springs.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear upper control arms for 3.5 max travel kit

I can not figure out how to install the rear upper control arms. Directions say to install with the bend horizontal and toward the frame. So does that mean the bend is up? Or just as long as it’s not facing out and I can get it to fit in the mount?
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmnc
I can not figure out how to install the rear upper control arms. Directions say to install with the bend horizontal and toward the frame. So does that mean the bend is up? Or just as long as it’s not facing out and I can get it to fit in the mount?
I think I figured it out. I adjusted the angle of the joint housing to line up with the mounting brackets in the frame and axle.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The bend should be horizontal and toward the frame, IIRC. It's necessary for wheel and tire clearance.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor

Sorry for the delay, I was on the road for the last week and a half. I PM'd you back this morning, As ShutterBug said, they bend inward towards the frame.

Adam C
Old 06-11-2018, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 2.5 x Factor kit and I'm trying to grease the control arms. i can't get any grease in the fittings, hard to depress the grease gun then when I take the fitting off all the grease is on the outside of the fitting, nothing going in. I've greased the rest of the Jeep and no issues so the gun is working as it should. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jscribn1; 06-11-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 06-11-2018, 01:07 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jscribn1
I have the 2.5 x Factor kit and I'm trying to grease the control arms. i can't get any grease in the fittings, hard to depress the grease gun then when I take the fitting off all the grease is on the outside of the fitting, nothing going in. I've greased the rest of the Jeep and no issues so the gun is working as it should. Any tricks or tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you are using a thick grease, our joints are designed to use 000 weight grease. 000 Grade Grease - 3oz tube

Adam C

Quick Reply: Rock Krawler Suspension Open Tech Line for JK Forum Members