Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rock Slider/Step/Advise

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Slider/Step/Advise

As the 5.5 RK lift and 37's have been ordered.....
I am looking for some opinions on a rock slider that I can tell the wife is a step as well, if you know what I mean.
I am considering the shockworks and the river raider ones at this time but also open to suggestions.
Can they actually help someone get in Wife/Kid as a step or is that a stretch.

What I would REALLY like is a automatic hide away step like the new Ford pick up has but cant find one.

I would also like to know about wcich is best a frame or body mounted one and pros cone of each

Thanks in advance for the advice.

B
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Shockworks.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	37856   Click image for larger version

Name:	River Raider4doorsliders.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	37857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Side step.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	37858  
Old 02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

With that high if a lift and tires, you won't have a usable step,

Mbrp has a decent one with removable steps when you go Offroad.

If your going to tube mount, ie drill through the tub get the purejeeps. They actually tie all the layers of the tub together and don't just hang on the putter sheet metal like the riveraider
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! The MBRP looks good, I have there cat back exhaust on the challenger
Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few other option in this thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=106608&page=2

But if you want both sliders and lower steps, I think the MBRP unit is the cleanest option.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

I've got the same basic setup as you (35's w/ a fabtech 3" lift) and most rock rails are just a bit higher than the bottom of the tub anyway. My wife still likes the side step because she can more climb into the jeep rather than jump into it. I like it b/c it gives me a little more comfort when the doors come off in the summer and I can use it as a ledge to jump to the side of the trail rather than stepping down into the mud and walking to the side of the trail.

If you know what you want and have some experience w/ welding, make your own... if not, having a set of custom rock rails w/ a step fabbed will probably be about the same price as some of the premade rock rails on the market for the JK.

Good luck and post what you find... I'm going to weld up a set of rockrails w/ step this spring or summer and am still looking for other features I might want.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:41 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian-08 Rubicon
... I am considering the shockworks ...
I have the Shrockworks rock rails (and front bumper and rear bumper/et al ready to be installed) and I love them. I use the rock rails as a step, but I don't have tires or lift as large as yours. At your configuration, the rock rail may be too high to be a step from shorter people/small kids. Also, the semi-gloss paint on them (can't speak to other available finishes) can get a bit slippery when wet. TORN has stuck some friction tape on his that he picked up at Lowe's. The only thing I don't like about that is that it scratches the back of my leg when exiting his Jeep and I'm wearing short pants. LOL.

Also, anytime anyone is interested in Shrockworks I like to point out that their performance and quality is second to no one. But, they do charge your credit card when you order, and it usually takes them months to deliver product. If that is unappealing to you, contact Screamin' Lizard, also a forum sponsor, because they may be able to work better with you on Shrockworks products. Bottom line: If I had to do it all over again, I would.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rock slider/step/advice

I feel that the "Treks Offroad Equipment" boat sided rock sliders are the best if you do any serious wheeling. They protect your body mounts and eliminates any places that rocks could get you hung up on. They mount to the frame. The thin sheet metal of the body is no place to mount anything that will add a stress. I have read some posts where guys complained that when they removed sliders from their rig, all the holes had elongated and tore out the mounting hardware. I have witnessed another brand (not Jeep) vehicle cave in his entire rocker panel when his slider needed to function while going over a bolder. The built-in step acts like a lever to multiply the forces and cause damage. My TJ had heavier gaged metal, and I was able to sandwich it between another piece of metal on the inside of the vehicle to add strength....no way that I know of to do this with my JK Rubicon. I use "Redneck Concepts" stirrup style step (portable) for my wife to get into the Jeep.

Last edited by David C. Brown; 02-28-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by David C. Brown
I feel that the "Treks Offroad Equipment" boat sided rock sliders are the best if you do any serious wheeling. They protect your body mounts and eliminates any places that rocks could get you hung up on. They mount to the frame. The thin sheet metal of the body is no place to mount anything that will add a stress. I have read some posts where guys complained that when they removed sliders from their rig, all the holes had elongated and tore out the mounting hardware. I have witnessed another brand (not Jeep) vehicle cave in his entire rocker panel when his slider needed to function while going over a bolder. The built-in step acts like a lever to multiply the forces and cause damage. My TJ had heavier gaged metal, and I was able to sandwich it between another piece of metal on the inside of the vehicle to add strength....no way that I know of to do this with my JK Rubicon. I use "Redneck Concepts" stirrup style step (portable) for my wife to get into the Jeep.

First you cant compare a none jeep to a Jeep for rocker protection,

secondly not all Body rockers are mounted just on the sheet metal, I would venture to say, the ones that elongated were mounted this way.

much like the TJ, you can mount through all 4 layers of the JK and sandwich the 4 layers, plus the rockers and make a very strong mount. It can be done!

I wrecked my first JK, I hit a car head on. It bent the tub to the side and stopped at the Purejeep rockers. I pulled the rockers off. The holes were fine, they were no elongated. As a matter of fact, the Rockers were a bitch to remove because of the way the mount on the tub.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks again....the MBRP ones are sweet as well, they say each step only takes a minute to remove/install.

Anyone have any experience with them?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MBRP.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	37941  
Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put the purejeeps on today, they look awesome very happy with my choice

Quick Reply: Rock Slider/Step/Advise