Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

rocker panel protection

Old 05-01-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker panel protection

Here's my dilema, I want something that's somewhat tight to the body and functional, but will also help protect the sides from mud. I drive many miles off-road on the weeks I work and when it rains my door handles are sometimes totally packed with mud. That was even with the stock 225's that came on it, now I've gone up to 33's it hasn't rained much but I don't think that's going to help things. I like the looks of the Sahara steps but they look a little big and I think are more for looks than protection, but they do stick out far enough I think to eliminate some of the mud.

Is there something that will give me some protection on the body from rocks and stumps and cut down on the mud too? Any recommendations or advice? Thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 06:20 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have found that pretty much any rocker guard with a tube sidebar/step will help cut down on mud flying up the sides but short of wider fenders and mud flaps, it's pretty hard to cut it out completely.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't expect to eliminate it completely, if I can cut some of it down it would be good. The other thing is I don't really like steps because I don't use them, but getting in and out with steps gets mud all over my britches. Guess that's another perk of owning a Jeep, just get to take a little of the fun with you wherever you go.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now that sounds like a good idea Phil, thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilD
I made my own protection out of 2"x3" box section, as I wanted it to double as a step for the kids. It offers some protection from stuff flying up the sides, but not enough for my tires (36x13.50).

If I were doing it again, I would use 2"x4" box and have it movable in/out. I'd use two sections of square tubing for the supports, one fitting inside the other. This would allow you to easily move it out so you'd have a nice 4" wide step (and protection from mud/gravel/etc) for around town, but you'd be able to move it in a couple of inches for when on the trail.
That does sound like a good idea. I think you would need to make it somewhat modular though, so when it gets bent it could be repaired easily?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live several miles down a dirt road so the sides of my JK were always covered in mud. Finally broke down and installed the Mopar mudflaps. Problem solved. Unfortunately, they must be removed for real wheeling since they hang too low and are fairly stiif (if you hit anyhing with them I'm pretty sure they would just break off or at least be damaged). Haven't taken them off yet but it looks pretty simple. Also looks like they should clear they should clear the Shrockworks rocksliders I hope to order soon.

Last edited by skibum; 05-01-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: rocker panel protection