Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

roof rack questions

Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been looking around and i found the wild boar products square back rack, from all the features of the racks ive seen this seems to be taking my vote due to the hard top and soft top accessibility. Does anyone have one of these to comment on it? Budget is definitely a concern like most of us, so if im going to be spending the 1500 bucks, i want the best bang for the buck.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Joey
ive been looking around and i found the wild boar products square back rack, from all the features of the racks ive seen this seems to be taking my vote due to the hard top and soft top accessibility. Does anyone have one of these to comment on it? Budget is definitely a concern like most of us, so if im going to be spending the 1500 bucks, i want the best bang for the buck.
Mine is the fastback version to match the WildBoar fastback hardtop and trek top NX. Never had issue. Tosses some Yakima bars on as well for box and bikes, etc. Also has mounts for lights front and back. Very happy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3351420429.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	533496  
Old 02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the eautogrilles from eBay and took it off. Super loud and heavy no instructions and not a great fit but what do you expect for $600. Gobi or AEV in my opinion those are the best out there. Again just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TreyJK
If you don't mind, how much did the Gobi and MBRP racks run you guys?
Typically Gobi racks run around $1500. I don't know that they run sales, but some dealers will throw in extra accessories, (ladder, quick disconnects;which I recommend, wind deflector etc.). I'm not sure about MBRP rack, I didn't even consider it due to drilling into my rig. The Gobi attaches to the frame with no drilling into roof or panels.

Don't discount MBRP I'm sure that if it holds up to the trips Mark takes it will work for the general population. (Mark, we are all jealous of your rig and travels. Lol)
Old 03-02-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auxillaryman
Typically Gobi racks run around $1500. I don't know that they run sales, but some dealers will throw in extra accessories, (ladder, quick disconnects;which I recommend, wind deflector etc.). I'm not sure about MBRP rack, I didn't even consider it due to drilling into my rig. The Gobi attaches to the frame with no drilling into roof or panels.

Don't discount MBRP I'm sure that if it holds up to the trips Mark takes it will work for the general population. (Mark, we are all jealous of your rig and travels. Lol)
is there access to remove the hard top with the gobi?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Joey
is there access to remove the hard top with the gobi?
Yup. The freedom panels will come out with rack in place, (unless you purchase the additional grating for front). The rack disconnects at front and pivots in back so it works with hard top, soft top, or no top. I only have two complaints with the Gobi...the us rider soft top doesn't work with it, and wind noise.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Auxillaryman
Yup. The freedom panels will come out with rack in place, (unless you purchase the additional grating for front). The rack disconnects at front and pivots in back so it works with hard top, soft top, or no top. I only have two complaints with the Gobi...the us rider soft top doesn't work with it, and wind noise.
Freedom panels come off even with extra cargo insert. Just have to be careful. Being tall helps too.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

I also opted for the Kargo Master with Safari Cage. Easy to install, very solid, and about $900 out the door. Also a no drill installation. I seriously considered the Gobi, but we camp alot and I needed to secure long items on the roof rack. Think canopy, Turbo Tent, and other stuff. The Gobi has a bar running lateral across the center top of the cage, which meant said long items don't fit inside the cage. The Gobi might be good for really long items like a kayak, but for my purposes, it didn't do what I needed it to do. Not saying it's a bad rack, just...

Edited to add, I've had it on the highway and really didn't notice any additional wind noise, even with the windows cracked. And it also unhooks from the front and pivots at the rear bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140224_113140.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	534879

Name:	20140224_113219.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	534880

Last edited by LV Naturist; 03-03-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Body armor 4x4 rack. It's cool. I ended up not really using it except once to move my in laws.

Name:	image-3911769136.jpg
Views:	1691
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	534893

Name:	image-2733748699.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	534894

Name:	image-2668639254.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	534895
Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor

Hope I am not too late to the party.

If you want a no drilling solution. to mount a rooftop Tent, Gobi Rack will be your best option. The price is a bit higher than others since it is made in the USA

However, if you don't mind of some minor drilling and you have a hard top. Then Front Runner slimline JK Rack would be your next best option, and it is the strongest rack of all, and you can have the most optional accessories for your rack.

Quick Reply: roof rack questions