Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rotating the Coils

Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotating the Coils

Well its been a few weeks since I last posted the thread about my 4" lift creating an uneven (side to side) ride. ((see this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=uneven+lift))

And things haven't changed or shifted by their own and the ride is still uneven. So, I've been thinking about just trying to rotate the coils and seat them differently and I was wondering how difficult it might be.

Are there any tools besides a socket wrench set and a couple of jack stands? Any online resources for a newbie at this sort of stuff?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Im not sure if that will fix your problem.... but I have used a "big black" craftsman rubber strap wrench to spin coils in the past. I only had to take some of the tension off of them and the strap wrench spun them into the position I wanted.

Edit: ok they arent black anymore, but heres what I used. I got them as a Christmas gift a long time ago and I never thought Id use them... well I soon found out the darn things have a million uses!

sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?vName=Tools&keyword=strap+wrenc h&sLevel=0

Also The front coils fit in a groove on the axle mount... so Im not sure if you can reposition them... I dont remember if the back ones had groves or not, but I dont think they did.

Last edited by bly109; 08-23-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
Im not sure if that will fix your problem.... but I have used a "big black" craftsman rubber strap wrench to spin coils in the past. I only had to take some of the tension off of them and the strap wrench spun them into the position I wanted.
Hrm...thats definitely a possibility. Did you still have to jack up your jeep so the tire left the ground or just enough that the coil would spin? Also what was the reason you needed to spin the coil, same problem?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Hrm...thats definitely a possibility. Did you still have to jack up your jeep so the tire left the ground or just enough that the coil would spin? Also what was the reason you needed to spin the coil, same problem?

I just had to jack up one side just enough to get the coil to spin. The tire was practically in the air though. I originally had to do it on a lifted cherokee I had. I was half asleep (late night after-work-install) when I installed the front coils and I did not get one into the groove on the axle pad... so I tried the strap wrench first so I didnt have to tear everything apart again. Suprisingly it worked. I also did it with my BB install just to get the passenger side coil spun into the bottom groove. I had a hard time getting it in and then it was in the wrong position when I did. Strap wrench to the rescue!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM
JK Junkie

I know this was mentioned before it the previous thread, but our jk leans too with a full tank of gas. I'll have to measure it to see how much.

I would also check to make sure they reinstalled the factory coil isolator pads above all the springs.... of course if they didnt, I would think you would feel vibration from them not being there..

Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bly109
I know this was mentioned before it the previous thread, but our jk leans too with a full tank of gas. I'll have to measure it to see how much.

I would also check to make sure they reinstalled the factory coil isolator pads above all the springs.... of course if they didnt, I would think you would feel vibration from them not being there..

Good Luck!
Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it, as soon as I get off work I'm going to go home and check everything out.

Also I'd be great if you could measure the sag too. On Average the front passenger is 3/4" - 1" lower than the front driver side and the rear passenger is 1/2" - 3/4" lower than the rear driver side. Thats measuring straight up and down from the center of the bottom of the fender to the top of the tire.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

check to be sure you spring does not rub on the fuel tank. Thats what is happening on mine. When it flexes it pushes the spring off of the top isolator. I am going to adjust my control arms to push the axle back we will see if this fixes the problem.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MBAR741028
check to be sure you spring does not rub on the fuel tank. Thats what is happening on mine. When it flexes it pushes the spring off of the top isolator. I am going to adjust my control arms to push the axle back we will see if this fixes the problem.
How did you find out that was happening? Was there a noticeable difference in height or did you just feel something odd in the pedals or something?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeepSky
How did you find out that was happening? Was there a noticeable difference in height or did you just feel something odd in the pedals or something?
It was lower on the passenger side rear so I got under it and looked up at the spring isolater and the spring was not centered on it. I looked at the spring and noticed all of the scratches on the fuel tank cover. See pics.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

How does it look and/or measure with a driver in it? Maybe the kit is taking into account that there will always be weight in the drivers seat....just thinking out loud here....

Quick Reply: Rotating the Coils