Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubi 44's into Sahara- Who's done it??

Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has an X with full lockers, dicos, 4" lift kit, and 35" mud tires.

Believe me, he can follow my Rubicon everywhere, even when I climb 15" rock mountains.

He still has a front dana 30, and that is strong enough.

Okay, if you want to do the Rubicon valley, go ahead, but 95% of the Jeepers don't need a front Dana 44.

Invest your money in real good parts: u joint diff. Protection diff, covers and transmission plates, better lift kit, bigger wheels, etc. steering shock, etc

Just my opinion, but I don't want to start a war... anyway my english is not good enough

You have a Sahara, be proud of it!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
My friend has an X with full lockers, dicos, 4" lift kit, and 35" mud tires.

Believe me, he can follow my Rubicon everywhere, even when I climb 15" rock mountains.

He still has a front dana 30, and that is strong enough.

Okay, if you want to do the Rubicon valley, go ahead, but 95% of the Jeepers don't need a front Dana 44.

Invest your money in real good parts: u joint diff. Protection diff, covers and transmission plates, better lift kit, bigger wheels, etc. steering shock, etc

Just my opinion, but I don't want to start a war... anyway my english is not good enough

You have a Sahara, be proud of it!
No war friend. You just clarified yourself a bit. I was thinkin you meant lockers don't make a difference at ALL. I'll have to agree with you that ALL other things being equal, INCLUDING lockers, the difference between a Dana 30 and 44 front is not tremendous. The biggest difference is ring gear diameter. The 44 being 8.5 and the 30 only being 7.20. Even still, I think a PROPERLY prepared D30 would do pretty much anything a 44 would.

On edit.....I think YOU will agree though, that addition of larger tires (35" and larger) and wheels and the need for the Dana 44 does increase. I think on THAT point, you'd get some argument.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 09-16-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
No war friend. You just clarified yourself a bit. I was thinkin you meant lockers don't make a difference at ALL. I'll have to agree with you that ALL other things being equal, INCLUDING lockers, the difference between a Dana 30 and 44 front is not tremendous. The biggest difference is ring gear diameter. The 44 being 8.5 and the 30 only being 7.20. Even still, I think a PROPERLY prepared D30 would do pretty much anything a 44 would.
I definitely agree with RedneckJeep.

No war at all . My X has a 30 front and no lockers at all so the Rubi 44's axle spline count, lockers, and gears are all a major upgrade for me and also part of what I would consider "important" parts.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Thank you Redneck. That is really what I wanted to tell. (Your english is much better than mine!)
Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
Thank you Redneck. That is really what I wanted to tell. (Your english is much better than mine!)
No problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you Guys, you are being a great help.

So it seems to be a simple upgrade for the axles at least as long as I reconnect the ABS, and use swirches/relays for the lockers.

Has anyone retrofitted the electric swaybar disconnect and wired that seperately from the main harness? or should i just save myself a $1000 and go for the JKS discos.

Thanks again

Roger.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really don't need any relays.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dana 44's in a SAHARA
Thanks man thats awesome,its a great model now with the best of the rubi's d44's I love it
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i had $3500 i would be all over this. But i dont, so until i break it, i'll run what I have.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what wiring pig tail are you using to plug into the axle?

Quick Reply: Rubi 44's into Sahara- Who's done it??