Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubi vs. X Springs?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi vs. X Springs?

Hey all,

This may be a dumb question... if so, sorry for that. But... is there any difference in spring height between '07 Rubi 2dr springs vs. X springs? I read somewhere here that the Rubi springs are a stiffer, but are they any taller? Someone told me that they had an inch over X springs, but I'm thinking this may be incorrect... please correct me if I'm wrong. I know DC has a number of springs they put on JK's, with different spring rates. Not sure why that is exactly, but suspect they try to match them to options/models.

Another related question: How do the shocks between Rubi's & X models differ and/or compare?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by '07JK Fan
Hey all,

Another related question: How do the shocks between Rubi's & X models differ and/or compare?
Rubi shocks are red. Red shocks are better. Duh!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the TJ Rubi's were about 1" taller, but I'm not sure that anybody's confirmed that about the JK's yet.

The Rubi's do use different shocks. I think the Sahara's use the same ones.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
Rubi shocks are red. Red shocks are better. Duh!
And why would that be, sir?? Need we start another Red Jeep thread?!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
I think the TJ Rubi's were about 1" taller, but I'm not sure that anybody's confirmed that about the JK's yet.

The Rubi's do use different shocks. I think the Sahara's use the same ones.
Thx! I had a feeling... The person that told me that was driving a TJ. Perhaps they misread. I am curious about the spring rate though. WOL mentioned that his Rubi springs were stiffer than others he'd seen.

Wondering about the shocks. My X shocks seem pretty soft... makes for a good ride on-road, but wouldn't mind a firmer one if I saw improvement on the trail.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you that when we switched out my Sahara suspension for Rubi suspension, we noticed differences. Side by side, the Rubi coils were a little longer than the Sahara coils and they didn't have as much play when I squeezed them with my hands. We measured and took pics-- not sure if that info ever got posted... the Rubi shocks are high-pressure and the Sahara's are much softer. The ride was definitely firmer with the Rubi suspension. I can't really speak to ride height, as I added the BB at the same time-- but my guess is that you get a tiny bit, I doubt it's anything close to an inch though...
Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doojer
I can tell you that when we switched out my Sahara suspension for Rubi suspension, we noticed differences. Side by side, the Rubi coils were a little longer than the Sahara coils and they didn't have as much play when I squeezed them with my hands. We measured and took pics-- not sure if that info ever got posted... the Rubi shocks are high-pressure and the Sahara's are much softer. The ride was definitely firmer with the Rubi suspension. I can't really speak to ride height, as I added the BB at the same time-- but my guess is that you get a tiny bit, I doubt it's anything close to an inch though...
Thanks Doojer! I think the Sahara and X springs are pretty similar. I have the opportunity buy some Rubi suspension components. I'm mostly looking to improve offroadability (is that a word? should be) and would like a firmer ride anyway. A little extra height would be nice, but not necessary. I'm also planning on a BB, but for a short-term lift. Long-term, I want to go bigger!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you'll get a firmer ride and less bounce when you come over obstacles. The height thing probably won't be noticeable-- but maybe. X and Sahara have the same shocks. Coils might be a tad different if the whole "32 million different coil spring rates" theory is true.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default springs

I put a rubi suspension under my x. The part #'s on the front springs were exactly the same on both sets. The rear springs were different in that the very last # on the springs was different. This came off a rubi with hard top/towing package to a soft top x without the towing package. The shocks are stiffer. As far as any height gains there was none in the front and maybe 1/2 inch in the back (so my front rake got worse)

The red shocks look great with my red x
Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hah! Yeah, red shocks would look nice... but nicer on a Rescue Green JK!

Thanks for the responses. It doesn't sound like I'd gain much from going to Rubi springs and shocks won't matter anyway, since I'm going to a 2.5" BB with new shocks.

Quick Reply: Rubi vs. X Springs?