Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon 10A or X front tow hook removal

Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubicon 10A or X front tow hook removal

Has anyone removed the red front tow hooks from their 10A or X bumper. I am having a problem with getting the bracket that the hooks and crush cans are attached to removed.

I don't want to waste anyone's time so I am looking for assistance from anyone who has actually tried or accomplished this. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bilash31
Has anyone removed the red front tow hooks from their 10A or X bumper. I am having a problem with getting the bracket that the hooks and crush cans are attached to removed.

I don't want to waste anyone's time so I am looking for assistance from anyone who has actually tried or accomplished this. Thanks.
I've taken off the front tow hooks/bumper twice now (the 2nd time was a lot easier since I knew what to look for). The four nuts on the back (inside of the bumper) per hook are pretty easy to remove once you figure out the extension sizes needed to get at them. After my winch install, the passenger side inside lower nut was a bugger, it took 3 different varying size extensions to get the socket to reach it. I had to feed the extensions in with the socket attached and then attach my wrench. Good luck and if you still can't get at them, attach a pic of your trouble spot and I'll see if I can help.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Tatonka456.

I think I figured it out. But did you also remove tow hooks or just bumper/tow hook assembly? I am starting with the bumper off. Do the nuts from the tow hooks hold the bumper on the frame? I think there are just retainer clips that I have to get off and then maneuver the hooks out.

Last edited by bilash31; 09-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Tatonka456.

I think I figured it out. But did you also remove tow hooks or just bumper/tow hook assembly? I am starting with the bumper off. Do the nuts from the tow hooks hold the bumper on the frame? I think there are just retainer clips that I have to get off and then maneuver the hooks out.
The same bolts that are attached to the hooks hold on the bumper...if you got the bumper off, the hooks should be off too. (Sorry for the late reply btw, just saw your post.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for getting back to me. But I did get them all off. Which is why they're now listed in the for sale section.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for getting back to me. But I did get them all off. Which is why they're now listed in the for sale section.
How did you get the tow hooks out, I have my 10a bumper off the front of the jeep but not seeing how I get the actual hook out of the bumper, Want to paint them.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RGJKU
How did you get the tow hooks out, I have my 10a bumper off the front of the jeep but not seeing how I get the actual hook out of the bumper, Want to paint them.
lol we are going on almost 2 1/2 yrs ago I did this. I don't remember what I did last week. At the end of the day I remember this part being ridiculously more trouble than I thought needed to be. I think where you're at you just need to pry off the silver c-clips around the bolts. They were holding my whole assembly in. I destroyed them doing it and didn't replace them. Haven't had a problem. Just note the way the pieces come off so you reinstall I the right direction etc. Take a pic of you need and send it if you need more help.

Quick Reply: Rubicon 10A or X front tow hook removal