Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon Express Bushings

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Express Bushings

Well, I put a Rubicon Express 3.5 inch Superflex lift kit on my Jeep in March of 2009. In May of 2010, I started to notice clunking when turning and in the rear axle. I inspected the bushings and noticed rips and tears in all of the bushings. I called Rubicon Express, and they said they had new and improved busings. They promptly sent me a set and I installed them .

Fast forward to about 5 months ago and I started noticing some clunks in the rear axle, more noticable when taking off and stopping. I inspected the bushings but they looked okay. Last weekend, I looked at my rear axle and noticed some play and assumed it was the bushings. I contacted Rubicon Express and they said they now have new and improved polyurethane bushings but did tell me to add silicone grease when I installed them to avoid squeaks. I took off the control arms this weekend and the front bushings were good. The rear lower bushings were slightly wallowed, while the rear uppers were destroyed including the metal inserts.

Does anyone have any experience with these new bushings? Wonder why the rear uppers were so destroyed? I really don't want bushing replacement to be part of my 10,000 mile maintencnae routine, it is a lot of work replacing these things. Thinking about going to another manufacturers control arms. Any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Gratuitous picture from Moab last June:

Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobicon
Well, I put a Rubicon Express 3.5 inch Superflex lift kit on my Jeep in March of 2009. In May of 2010, I started to notice clunking when turning and in the rear axle. I inspected the bushings and noticed rips and tears in all of the bushings. I called Rubicon Express, and they said they had new and improved busings. They promptly sent me a set and I installed them .

Fast forward to about 5 months ago and I started noticing some clunks in the rear axle, more noticable when taking off and stopping. I inspected the bushings but they looked okay. Last weekend, I looked at my rear axle and noticed some play and assumed it was the bushings. I contacted Rubicon Express and they said they now have new and improved polyurethane bushings but did tell me to add silicone grease when I installed them to avoid squeaks. I took off the control arms this weekend and the front bushings were good. The rear lower bushings were slightly wallowed, while the rear uppers were destroyed including the metal inserts.

Does anyone have any experience with these new bushings? Wonder why the rear uppers were so destroyed? I really don't want bushing replacement to be part of my 10,000 mile maintencnae routine, it is a lot of work replacing these things. Thinking about going to another manufacturers control arms. Any recommendations? Thanks for the help.

Gratuitous picture from Moab last June:

Yeah, I've got them too. Bought the system in Oct-09 and installed it myself. I now have about 30,000 miles on it and yes, the rubber is toast. I just went to 4 Wheel Parts in my area (This company now owns Rubicon Express) and they gave me the whole set, free. I haven't put them in yet but they look pretty stout and from what I've researched, they will hold up. Since your inner metal bushings are ruined, they also sell those so you can replace them. Of course, time will tell how these wear but I'm pretty confident that they'll be ok.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the Currie control arms on my JK for over 26,000 miles and put a pump of grease in them every 6 months. Still holding up great!

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express Bushings