JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rubicon Locker Bypass?? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rubicon-locker-bypass-344454/)

YukonBlu 12-05-2017 03:18 PM

Rubicon Locker Bypass??

I am wanting to be able to turn my Rubicon locker on in 4WH when needed, which i know will not be very often, but i still want the option. I have seen a couple write ups on this but am not sure of the best method. Anyone with some experience doing this that can point me in the right direction. Thanks

ronjenx 12-05-2017 03:23 PM

The best method I have seen is adding a switch to the locker relay ground wire.
The computer grounds the relay when LOCK is selected.
Adding a switch to the wire allows you to ground it whenever you want, and preserves the computer's ability to do the same.

As always, I have to add...Don't lock either axle when traveling on the road. It's a sure way to be shot into the on-coming lane, or off into the ditch.

YukonBlu 12-05-2017 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ronjenx (Post 4309406)
The best method I have seen is adding a switch to the locker relay ground wire.
The computer grounds the relay when LOCK is selected.
Adding a switch to the wire allows you to ground it whenever you want, and preserves the computer's ability to do the same.

As always, I have to add...Don't lock either axle when traveling on the road. It's a sure way to be shot into the on-coming lane, or off into the ditch.

Any chance you have seen a good write up on this somewhere?

ronjenx 12-05-2017 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by YukonBlu (Post 4309413)
Any chance you have seen a good write up on this somewhere?

Search for locker bypass in this forum.

Alf1096 12-10-2017 09:15 AM

Would you by chance know how to do this with a spod type system. Some say it can be done but I have done every search I can think of with no luck.

SoK66 12-13-2017 04:04 PM

SPOD used to provide the wiring for this but apparently the lawyers got involved and put the living on the info. The issue is inadvertent engagement as there is no switch lockout like with the stock system. You can do it but you're basically on your own. The lockers are a simple on/off positive switched coil. They are permanently grounded. You just have to pick your switches, run power to them of the corresponding relays and they should work. Problem is again the risk of engaging them at speed.

resharp001 12-14-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alf1096 (Post 4309610)
Would you by chance know how to do this with a spod type system. Some say it can be done but I have done every search I can think of with no luck.

Yup, running these from sPOD are easy. I have a sport with Rubi axles and run the e-lockers off sPOD. It's nice being able to trigger front/back individually. The risk, as mentioned, is there's no safety lock. You can accidentally flip the switch whenever. I actually created wood block that I slide behind those two switches to avoid this particular issue. The one other caveat for me is I have no dash signal to indicate the locker is activated.

ronjenx 12-14-2017 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4309863)
The risk, as mentioned, is there's no safety lock. You can accidentally flip the switch whenever.

A guarded switch will take care of that risk.
The bigger risk is selecting the lockers at dangerously inappropriate times.