Rubicon Locker Bypass??

Rubicon Locker Bypass??

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    JK Enthusiast YukonBlu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Albany
    Posts
    184

    Default Rubicon Locker Bypass??

    I am wanting to be able to turn my Rubicon locker on in 4WH when needed, which i know will not be very often, but i still want the option. I have seen a couple write ups on this but am not sure of the best method. Anyone with some experience doing this that can point me in the right direction. Thanks

  2. #2
    JK Jedi Master ronjenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,209

    Default

    The best method I have seen is adding a switch to the locker relay ground wire.
    The computer grounds the relay when LOCK is selected.
    Adding a switch to the wire allows you to ground it whenever you want, and preserves the computer's ability to do the same.

    As always, I have to add...Don't lock either axle when traveling on the road. It's a sure way to be shot into the on-coming lane, or off into the ditch.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

  3. #3
    JK Enthusiast YukonBlu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Albany
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
    The best method I have seen is adding a switch to the locker relay ground wire.
    The computer grounds the relay when LOCK is selected.
    Adding a switch to the wire allows you to ground it whenever you want, and preserves the computer's ability to do the same.

    As always, I have to add...Don't lock either axle when traveling on the road. It's a sure way to be shot into the on-coming lane, or off into the ditch.
    Any chance you have seen a good write up on this somewhere?

  4. #4
    JK Jedi Master ronjenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YukonBlu View Post
    Any chance you have seen a good write up on this somewhere?
    Search for locker bypass in this forum.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

  5. #5
    JK Enthusiast Alf1096's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Would you by chance know how to do this with a spod type system. Some say it can be done but I have done every search I can think of with no luck.
    07 Silver Sahara Unlimited
    Auto with 4.10 Gears & Limited Slip
    Teraflex 2.5 Coils
    Pro Comp 7189 with KM2 35's
    JKS Disco's
    M.O.R.E. Body Lift

  6. #6
    JK Freak SoK66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    513

    Default

    SPOD used to provide the wiring for this but apparently the lawyers got involved and put the living on the info. The issue is inadvertent engagement as there is no switch lockout like with the stock system. You can do it but you're basically on your own. The lockers are a simple on/off positive switched coil. They are permanently grounded. You just have to pick your switches, run power to them of the corresponding relays and they should work. Problem is again the risk of engaging them at speed.
    Jeeps: Where my 401 (k)went to die!

  7. #7
    JK Junkie resharp001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Willow Park, TX
    Posts
    2,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf1096 View Post
    Would you by chance know how to do this with a spod type system. Some say it can be done but I have done every search I can think of with no luck.
    Yup, running these from sPOD are easy. I have a sport with Rubi axles and run the e-lockers off sPOD. It's nice being able to trigger front/back individually. The risk, as mentioned, is there's no safety lock. You can accidentally flip the switch whenever. I actually created wood block that I slide behind those two switches to avoid this particular issue. The one other caveat for me is I have no dash signal to indicate the locker is activated.

  8. #8
    JK Jedi Master ronjenx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
    The risk, as mentioned, is there's no safety lock. You can accidentally flip the switch whenever.
    A guarded switch will take care of that risk.
    The bigger risk is selecting the lockers at dangerously inappropriate times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	switchgarud.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	676494  
    Last edited by ronjenx; 12-14-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    08 Rubicon Unlimited
    Auto Transmission

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •