Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicon Locker Bypass??

Old 12-05-2017, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Locker Bypass??

I am wanting to be able to turn my Rubicon locker on in 4WH when needed, which i know will not be very often, but i still want the option. I have seen a couple write ups on this but am not sure of the best method. Anyone with some experience doing this that can point me in the right direction. Thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The best method I have seen is adding a switch to the locker relay ground wire.
The computer grounds the relay when LOCK is selected.
Adding a switch to the wire allows you to ground it whenever you want, and preserves the computer's ability to do the same.

As always, I have to add...Don't lock either axle when traveling on the road. It's a sure way to be shot into the on-coming lane, or off into the ditch.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The best method I have seen is adding a switch to the locker relay ground wire.
The computer grounds the relay when LOCK is selected.
Adding a switch to the wire allows you to ground it whenever you want, and preserves the computer's ability to do the same.

As always, I have to add...Don't lock either axle when traveling on the road. It's a sure way to be shot into the on-coming lane, or off into the ditch.
Any chance you have seen a good write up on this somewhere?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
Any chance you have seen a good write up on this somewhere?
Search for locker bypass in this forum.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would you by chance know how to do this with a spod type system. Some say it can be done but I have done every search I can think of with no luck.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

SPOD used to provide the wiring for this but apparently the lawyers got involved and put the living on the info. The issue is inadvertent engagement as there is no switch lockout like with the stock system. You can do it but you're basically on your own. The lockers are a simple on/off positive switched coil. They are permanently grounded. You just have to pick your switches, run power to them of the corresponding relays and they should work. Problem is again the risk of engaging them at speed.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Alf1096
Would you by chance know how to do this with a spod type system. Some say it can be done but I have done every search I can think of with no luck.
Yup, running these from sPOD are easy. I have a sport with Rubi axles and run the e-lockers off sPOD. It's nice being able to trigger front/back individually. The risk, as mentioned, is there's no safety lock. You can accidentally flip the switch whenever. I actually created wood block that I slide behind those two switches to avoid this particular issue. The one other caveat for me is I have no dash signal to indicate the locker is activated.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by resharp001
The risk, as mentioned, is there's no safety lock. You can accidentally flip the switch whenever.
A guarded switch will take care of that risk.
The bigger risk is selecting the lockers at dangerously inappropriate times.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	switchgarud.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	676494  

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-14-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Locker Bypass??