Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon Transfer case vs "X"

Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon Transfer case vs "X"

the stats from what I have read are

X model is e command-trac nv241
rubi is rock-trac nv241 OF
2.72:1 is command trac
4.0:1 is rock trac

So is it the same case, just different gearing?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:56 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup, you got it right
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Yup, you got it right
SO why buy a rubicon?

seems the only true difference is the front 44? and a sticker
Old 10-06-2006, 01:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
SO why buy a rubicon?

seems the only true difference is the front 44? and a sticker
You also get Front/Rear e-Lockers, electronic sway bar disconnects, 32" Tires and a cool sticker across the hood that says "RUBICON"
Old 10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I had an 03 Rubi

I hardly used the low range because it was so drastic. But I am not a rock climber, just a trail rider. Ok, some small rocks. It also sucked that you cant use the lockers in HI.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Nozz
I hardly used the low range because it was so drastic. But I am not a rock climber, just a trail rider. Ok, some small rocks. It also sucked that you cant use the lockers in HI.
and from what i have read the lockers are not rebuildable..

I'm making myself feel better about not buying a Rubicon.. thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Makes me feel better too! I can't believe the markup on the Rubi's!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Default Why buy a Rubi?

I bought an X. I did all the research and the Rubi is about $7k more than an X. For that you get a d44 front (big deal, you can put d44 shafts into a d30 anyway), lockers (nice), the sway bar disco (real nice), and a 4:1 kit. Bottom line, this is not $7k worth of parts.

My plan is a super 44 ARB rear (when Superior gets it made, I'm talking to them about prototyping on my rig now), a total new front end (609 hybrid w/ARB), and a case from a Rubi (picked one up with 15k on it miles for $900, can then sell my stock case). This will end up costing me more like $9k, but what I will end up with will be far beefier than a stock Rubi.

BTW - I am planning on a Clayton Offroad 4" hard-arm lift kit, with 37's. Also working on prototyping that with them now. Will give you guys all the info I can as soon as it's available!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

If you want the manual, the X comes with the 44 rear, otherwise its the 35.

Also, a few more differences.

YES seats
32" BFG MTs
Infinity Speakers and Subwoofer with Amp upgrade (it's an option on X, but you do have to pay for it.)
Normal Duty vs Performance Suspension (whatever that means)
17 Machined Aluminum Wheels
and the aforementioned lockers and axles and disconnect

It also opens up a few other options like tinted windows and Mygig.

If you plan on lifting as soon as you get it, and replacing axles, wheels and tires, lockers and whatnot, then I say the X is for you. But, you need to include the labor costs (or time, if you have the inclination, ability and tools to do it yourself).

I don't have the time or money to do all that work immediately, not to mention that this will be my daily driver. Living in Virginia, the Rubicon will get me pretty far. Over time I can add a lift and new tires, and whatever else I figure I need at that time.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let's try not to forget WHY DC produced the Rubicon in the first place. The Rubicon is flat out the BEST and MOST CAPABLE 4x4 to ever come out of a factory... EVER.

Many people aren't interested in tearing their brand new Jeep apart and replacing this and replacing that, to make it better and stronger. They want a nice Jeep that will go anywhere and be difficult to get stuck should they decide to go off-road. I would venture to say "that crowd" constitutes "the masses". We who are Jeepaholics (who wouldn't dream of leaving a Jeep stock) are a minority. I venture to say that 70-85% of Rubicons purchased will spend > 97% of their time and miles on pavement. That other 15-30%??? THAT'S US!!!!!!!!!

Why buy a Rubi?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought an X. I did all the research and the Rubi is about $7k more than an X. For that you get a d44 front (big deal, you can put d44 shafts into a d30 anyway), lockers (nice), the sway bar disco (real nice), and a 4:1 kit. Bottom line, this is not $7k worth of parts.

My plan is a super 44 ARB rear (when Superior gets it made, I'm talking to them about prototyping on my rig now), a total new front end (609 hybrid w/ARB), and a case from a Rubi (picked one up with 15k on it miles for $900, can then sell my stock case). This will end up costing me more like $9k, but what I will end up with will be far beefier than a stock Rubi.
You're not willing to spend $7K for a Rubicon, but you're willing to spend $9K to rebuild the Jeep to make it better than a Rubicon? I'm just not sure I follow you there. I'm not against your position, I just don't understand it. The Rubicon was built pretty darn tough, heck the X is pretty darn tough. Might I suggest not replacing parts until you break them? You may wheel for 10 years and never break a Rubicon axle or blow apart a diff. Then again you may do it tomorrow. DC put the Dana 44 under the Rubicon, put the beefier axles this year, put the e-lockers, the electronic disco sway on the Rubicon so people wouldn't HAVE to beef up their Jeep. They could buy it PRE-BEEFED! It doesn't sound like you're even giving the Rubicon a chance. It cost too much, yet you'll spend even more to build it until you're happy. Most (actually all) of the magazines Ive read thus far say this Rubicon is tough. I plan to spend $7K to get a Rubicon, and IF I start breaking parts, THEN I'll start spending extra money to replace them with stronger parts. I'm willing to bet that in the long run (say 10 years), I'll spend less than you.

This post is NOT a flame , I just don't like seeing everyone bad-mouthing the Rubicon . DC did something RIGHT when they built it, and I don't want to see it go away.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

P.S> I'll get off my soapbox now before I get hit by thrown objects.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Transfer case vs "X"