Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a used lift on CL and need some opinions

Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found a used lift on CL and need some opinions

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...692265656.html

So I was just randomly looking around my local craigslist and I found this lift that peaked my interest. To be honest, I know very little about this stuff so I'd like your thoughts.

-I cant find a Rugged Ridge 2.5 lift that looks anything like that lift. It reminded me more of a Rough Country lift. Anyone seen this one before, any good?
-OP said its been on a commuter Jeep that has never been offroad for just over a year. Is it a bad idea to save a couple bucks and go used?
-I'm thinking I need bump stops, brake line adapters, and an exhaust spacer (My JKU is a 2014 sport). Would all these side requirements offset any savings? Basically, am I better off just going with a new kit?

Old 09-13-2018, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Those are definitely Rough Country shocks (their old versions) and springs. The rest look like a combination of several mixed parts (correction control arm brackets and stock control arms,)

From my own experience the springs are way too soft and sag big time and you would end up replacing anyway (I had them and 2 of my friends had them and all suffered the same issue)

The shocks are ok, but just ok. The rest of the stuff doesn't make sense because if you are going to use correction brackets then you would use your stock control arms.

It doesn't look like a complete kit and I don't think it's worth even the $250 they are asking since you are basically buying old shocks, crappy springs, correction brackets, and stock control arms that you already have.

My 2 cents

Last edited by Riptide9; 09-13-2018 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SporticonJKU (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

I was thinking that it wasn't a complete kit or the brand kit he was advertising. I figured I'd ask because I didn't want to pass up a good deal or get suckered into a bad deal out of ignorance.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

If not for the reasons Riptide9 highlighted above, that pic speaks for itself. So, throw the shocks away, you already have a set of factory control arms.... they basically want $250 for CA brackets ($<90 new) and a set of cheap springs.
SporticonJKU (09-13-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'ld stay away from a used lift at all costs. Especially a Rough Country lift. Budget accordingly would be my advise. What's the rush? A good new lift's entry price starts around$1K and goes up from there. <$2K is where you should end up when all is said and done in getting a quality lift because no lift is really 100% complete out of the box. Items for caster correction, HD trackbars, Exhaust spacers/Driveshaft and HD steering components are sold separately. Anything below the $700 price tag is either a spacer lift or complete garbage.

If you're looking for a good deal on a decent quality lift kit. My personal opinion is that it's hard to beat the Mopar 2in (without drive shaft) and the Rubicon Express 2.5in lifts since they seem to be some of the better value lifts that will allow up to 35in tires but like most kits still can highly benefit from a few added components. Metal Cloak provides more complete kits and quality parts with their game changer 2.5/3.5in series lifts but will put you into the $3K+ price ranges. If you're just looking for "looks" in lifting and trying to save $, then get a budget spacer lift. That way you avoid messing around with inferior components from those <$700 lifts which will only have you back on the forums and scratching your head trying to figure out the reasons you now have death wobble, it's sagging in one corner, steers and rides like sh*t.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-14-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

I'll additionally add. As pointed out already, those are stock control arms which you already have combined with RC springs and shocks. It makes Zero sense that anyone would pull off a lift to sell their JK and not put the factory control arms back on with it as well. Which means they actually sold their JK with a lift on it, where their story has holes in it. The more likely scenario is that they purchased a <$700 RC sh*t lift. Then realized those shocks and springs were sh*t and then pulled the RC springs and shocks off, replaced them with better quality lifted size shocks and springs. They're trying to cut their losses from their original mistake, and pass their mistakes onto some other less knowledgeable sucker who doesn't know any better. Their original mistake, gets passed down to the next guy.

I'ld pay <$75 for that lift if I needed longer sway bar links and geo correction brackets or for some odd reason I needed to replace my factory control arms. The rest of the parts in regards to the actual "lift" are throw away garbage.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-14-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

The best part to me is the shocks that are so dead they don't even expand on their own!
Rednroll (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
The best part to me is the shocks that are so dead they don't even expand on their own!
I honestly don't know how some people sleep at night after selling some sh*t like that. They need their Jeeper card revoked and permanently banned from the Jeep community.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Yeaa..... I feel pretty dumb for even bringing this to the boards now.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SporticonJKU
Yeaa..... I feel pretty dumb for even bringing this to the boards now.

Don't feel bad, there is some really good info in this thread. You saved yourself some headache and hopefully helped others avoid the same.

Quick Reply: Found a used lift on CL and need some opinions