Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubicon vs Rubiclone??

Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon vs Rubiclone??

I'm looking into a new Jeep. I know I want a 2012 or 2013. I have a 2012 unlimited that my wife really likes now so I can start looking for a 2 door. I found a magazine article that really helped me out, I'm just not sure what the cost would be. For me the only difference in the Rubicon vs the sport are the d44 up front, transfer case, and gearing. I know there are other differences, but none that are relevent. I KNOW I can find all that for alot less than the $10k plus difference in a Rubicon over the sport. The kicker is I am not sure what the labor cost for it all would be. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but would be up the creek when it came to doing the gear swap (no micrometers or anything) and the electronics for the different axle and t-case. Could I keep the tru-loc and change the gearing in that to a 4:1 instead of 2:42 (or whatever it is)?? What would be a ball park estimate for labor for the axle, gearing and t-case swap? I have got a few quotes so far, but want one from some one not on the companies side.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

I think u should buy by 2012 JKUR from me
Old 09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you bought rubicon take off parts the axles would have the gears already
Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Don't forget the cool stickers on the hood!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How far are you going with the build. If your only going to 35s get a jkur. Buy a jku if your going to 40 or 37 and save the money from an x and upgrade to a Dana 60 front end and regear the rear.

Last edited by Tonka_yellow; 09-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Just buy a Sport and slap Rubicon stickers on the hood....done deal!

Just don't try to follow and actual Rubi thru the shits!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would still need gears for the rear if I did that, which I am definitely NOT opposed to doing.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tatrhed
I would still need gears for the rear if I did that, which I am definitely NOT opposed to doing.
a quick glance on ebay and there was a brand new 2012 rubi rear complete for 1600 i bet you could do both axles and t case for way less than 10k , i dont think the electronics would be affected simple to wire up the lockers on seperate switches
Old 09-30-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tatrhed
I'm looking into a new Jeep. I know I want a 2012 or 2013. I have a 2012 unlimited that my wife really likes now so I can start looking for a 2 door. I found a magazine article that really helped me out, I'm just not sure what the cost would be. For me the only difference in the Rubicon vs the sport are the d44 up front, transfer case, and gearing. I know there are other differences, but none that are relevent. I KNOW I can find all that for alot less than the $10k plus difference in a Rubicon over the sport. The kicker is I am not sure what the labor cost for it all would be. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but would be up the creek when it came to doing the gear swap (no micrometers or anything) and the electronics for the different axle and t-case. Could I keep the tru-loc and change the gearing in that to a 4:1 instead of 2:42 (or whatever it is)?? What would be a ball park estimate for labor for the axle, gearing and t-case swap? I have got a few quotes so far, but want one from some one not on the companies side.
First off you forgot the biggest part between them and that is lockers

So if you wanted a x and make it to a rubi you would be around 7k for a nice setup
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinajk
a quick glance on ebay and there was a brand new 2012 rubi rear complete for 1600 i bet you could do both axles and t case for way less than 10k , i dont think the electronics would be affected simple to wire up the lockers on seperate switches
When you say rear do you mean rear axle? Are the rear axles not the same? It will be a DD as well and it would probably take me a week to do. Still doing some research myself on what I can use, but I need some figures for labor cost if I find something in one of these wright-ups that scares me away form doing it.

Tonka_yellow
How far are you going with the build. If your only going to 35s get a jkur. Buy a jku if your going to 40 or 37 and save the money from an x and upgrade to a Dana 60 front end and regear the rear.

I will probably only go to 35's. I already have a 4 door and am preferential to a 2 door. Why do you say go with the rubicon over the sport?

Quick Reply: Rubicon vs Rubiclone??