Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubicons, 35s, and lifts

Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicons, 35s, and lifts

All,

About 99.9999999% sure I'm gonna buy a 4-dr unlimited rubi before holidays...

A few questions..........

- I'm hearing rubis can handle 35s w/ only 3" lift.....what's conventional wisdom on tires and lifts? I've always been of the go vs. show school (e.g. 6+" lift can look cool, but not really desirable in a rock crawler rig for functional purposes). Can anyone see an advantage of going 4+" if 3" will handle 35s at full articulation (other than room for growth if you decide to go 37s+)?

- Seeing lots of concern over new 3.7L V6 and hp ratings. At what point is an hp increase meaningful or noticeable? +5%, +10%, +20%? Seems to me adding a V8 to the unlimited is just like the V10 in the Dodge Rams - seems like a good idea at the dealership, but then serious regret afterwards (try selling a V10 Ram). Wouldn't goosing the V6 be a better performance value (supposing that meaningful hp could be squeezed out w/ add-ons).

Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Cheers!!!

jeeperaf
Old 11-21-2006, 09:44 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperaf
- I'm hearing rubis can handle 35s w/ only 3" lift.....what's conventional wisdom on tires and lifts? I've always been of the go vs. show school (e.g. 6+" lift can look cool, but not really desirable in a rock crawler rig for functional purposes). Can anyone see an advantage of going 4+" if 3" will handle 35s at full articulation (other than room for growth if you decide to go 37s+)?
No. 3" is as tall as you need to go if you plan on just running 35" tires. Any more and you're center of gravity will start to get too high.

- Seeing lots of concern over new 3.7L V6 and hp ratings. At what point is an hp increase meaningful or noticeable? +5%, +10%, +20%? Seems to me adding a V8 to the unlimited is just like the V10 in the Dodge Rams - seems like a good idea at the dealership, but then serious regret afterwards (try selling a V10 Ram). Wouldn't goosing the V6 be a better performance value (supposing that meaningful hp could be squeezed out w/ add-ons).
Hard to say. I guess it depends on where the HP gain is in relationship to the RPM.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

You can even get away with a 2.5" bb and 35's.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

yea if your going to go 35's you'll have all you need in a 3" lift...

here is my "plans" on the whole lift tires thing....when my JK gets here it will Imediatly get 3" and 35's. now what I plan on is withen the next year it will be on 37's and prob like a 4" lift, by that time there will actualy be gears out for the JK's and there should be a prety good selection of nice "long arm" kits that will actualy make the JK work very well out on the trail....
Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I'm comfortably running 315-70 r17s with a Full Traction spacer lift. The bump stop extensions are the same as with the higher kits. I'm still using stock springs and shocks so the ride is stock or actually better with the larger ATs instead of the MTs. Essentially I've just given up 2"s of droop or downward wheel travel. It's the bumpstops that keep it from rubbing on compression.

An amazing plus is this tire just fits the stock carrier, bumper and tail light.

I did fab some snubber extensions out of cane tips and irrigation pipe but that probably wasn't necessary since the bumper supports some of the weight and stops a lot of the vibration.

There has been no rubbing after trimming the front air dam.

I had planned on this being an interim setup and changing when I get heavier bumpers and a winch. But that may be awhile since I'm enjoying the ride and simplicity of this one.

Chuck

Last edited by del4s; 11-26-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Nice pics del4s ! Thanks for the info
Old 11-26-2006, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

awesome pics del4s i have been looking for some with those tires and size w/ the 2" kit! looks great!

Quick Reply: Rubicons, 35s, and lifts