Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge light bar with lights... wind noise?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge light bar with lights... wind noise?

Thinking on getting the RR light bar and mounting 5 Hella 500's. I'm curious one how much wind noise this will create at 60 mph, I live in Canada so I run with my hard top 90% of the time.
People with this set-up, please fill me in.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnt008
Thinking on getting the RR light bar and mounting 5 Hella 500's. I'm curious one how much wind noise this will create at 60 mph, I live in Canada so I run with my hard top 90% of the time.
People with this set-up, please fill me in.
I have this exact set-up except with a soft top. I don't really notice the noise until I hit about 60 or so and then by 75 you quit noticing it. I run my radio (stock with stock speakers) at about 20-25 volume on the interstate when I'm by myself and can hear fine. When I am with a passenger I turn it down and you have to talk a little louder but I wouldn't say it is yelling.

With the top off, the wind is so crazy you can't even tell. When I take the covers off the lights I can hear a slight whistle starting around 35 mph and ending near 50 or 55 with the top down.

With a hard top I would venture to guess you would rarely hear any of these. I love this setup because it is a very cost efficient way to get a ton of light!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copperhead 3-24-12.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	296880

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-08-28 15.54.12.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	296881
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

I have it with 5 Rigid Dually's D2s ... (which I highly recommend over the Hella's)...

I noticed the wind noise the first time I road with them. On the highway with the radio off it will sound like a normal day with a blast of wind going by (think like, you're parked at get hit by a 30mph gust)...

If you turn the radio up to background noise level (say, like, 10) you won't hear it at all.

It's not really a factor for me.

http://imgur.com/ikU7V.jpg

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge light bar with lights... wind noise?