Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge Mirror Reloc Kit....HELP

Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiost8te
Just put my relo kit on today....the passenger's side is USELESS. Have any of you figured a way to align it so that it is at least visible from the driver's seat. Talk about a major blind spot.
X2, useless!

The gray strip of plastic is for late 2008 mirrors, the design was modified slightly.

If your mirrors are lose in the bracket use the strip to create a tighter fit.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good info in this thread as I too have looked at these. Are the new brackets made of steel or plastic.
how 'bout some pics!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

The brackets are made of steel...very sturdy...it helps that I have a black Jeep so that the black steel filler plate blends. I will keep my driver's side mirror relocated, but will probably put the passenger's side back so that I can see. That way, I only have one mirror to relocate when I want to go doorless, which here in Florida, is often!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Both of mine are really stuck. and now after reading these i think that im going to only relocate the drivers side......

Along with using a BFH
Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My kit is in the garage getting ready to go on. I read about the poor visibility of the passenger side mirror, so I guess relocating only one is the way to go. When I'm doorless, which won't likely be too often, I'll just use one mirror.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Junkie

I just tried to install my new brackets. first off, yes, put the torx screw back in a few turns and then give it a tap with a hammer (while still mounted on jeep) to free the mirror from the OEM bracket. That was the only way mine was coming off. And inside, there was a ton of white, calcium looking deposits keeping it all stuck in place. Pulling and twisting was not gonna do it!

But get this!
As I began the installation, I saw that the threads inside the filler plates were dirty. I sprayed them with WD40, then tried some paper towles to get the dirt out of there before I destroyed the threads on my bolts. NO GOOD! It looks like the machining process went hay-wire! BOTH PLATES are like this! 3 out of 4 holes.

I just called Quadratec and their cust service is closed for the weekend. I wanted them on before friday's trip to RC! argh. They better expedite a new set to me.

Also, ONLY ONE of my brackets has the padding on it (where it mounts to the windshield). What the heck is up with the quality control? argh!!!

Am I alone with these issues?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ohiost8te
Just put my relo kit on today....the passenger's side is USELESS. Have any of you figured a way to align it so that it is at least visible from the driver's seat. Talk about a major blind spot.
Lol no... it even says it in the instructions. I don't notice that the passenger mirror is useless anymore, and just check my blind spots.

Did see a thread where someone had modified the bracket to make it longer. It was a great idea, but no offense to anyone, it just looked really really ghetto.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikeyfl
i knocked myself in the noggin taking mine off.
So Im not the only dumb a$$ who hit himself with the mirror
Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

no one else had issues with the plate threads? I'm so annoyed!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had all these problems, too. Getting the original out, I just twisted, pulled and cussed until they came free! The two half-shells mine came with are useless because they're too big to get into the hole with the darn mirror! So, I left them "sorta" loose, and haven't had any problems with wind moving them, even at 80mph against a mean Valley wind!
Since the passenger mirror is USELESS, I got 2 fisheye mirrors in the Autozone dollar bin (abt 1-1/2"diam) for the outside bottom corners of both mirrors. They look fine, and make a HUGE difference in my blindspots---on both sides!! my $.02

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Mirror Reloc Kit....HELP