JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Rugged Ridge Snorkel (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rugged-ridge-snorkel-238876/)

Z.A.Kenworthy 07-04-2012 09:51 PM

Rugged Ridge Snorkel

2 Attachment(s)
So I'm saving up for this snorkel, I think it looks sexy as hell, and I like it better than the others. Idk if anyone's gotten it yet but if you have what are your reviews, is it a yes or no? Attachment 337483Attachment 337485

sknahsb 07-04-2012 11:35 PM

I haven't received mine yet as there was an issue with shipping but eadoffroad.com is selling the snorkel and high mount for $269.00 shipped or at least they were last month, which is cheap! I have a thread started with the install instructions linked so you can decide if you are up for the install.

tnt008 07-05-2012 12:00 AM

I don't believe anyone has theirs yet, It just came out last month. I'm still waiting for mine also. Awesome looking snorkel.

skibovr6 07-05-2012 03:33 AM

I cancelled my order. I was so excited at first. It looked to be a bolt in easy install. Now there are many steps that involve removing EVERYTHING, cutting and customizing to make it fit. I am going to buy the AEV with the Heat reduction hood instead. I would wait if I were you and let them work out the bugs on it.

OH9JK 07-05-2012 03:46 AM

Shipment got held up. With the holiday week I don't expect anyone will see these before next week.

I don't think it is fair to say "work the bugs out" until we actually get to see these things being installed.

However you need to know there are 123 steps and some minor interior fender trimming required to install.
Here is the install PDF: http://www.omix-ada.com/instructions/17756.06.pdf

:beer:

Biggy 07-05-2012 06:04 AM

If you like wrenching on your jeep the install shouldnt be a problem and looks straight forward.

pastorwug 07-05-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 3099908)

However you need to know there are 123 steps and some minor interior fender trimming required to install.
Here is the install PDF: http://www.omix-ada.com/instructions/17756.06.pdf

I read through the entire installation instructions and I'd have to say - no way!
Very involved, no easy afternoon install, my feeling is that once people start receiving their snorkels there's going to be a bunch of threads here on explaining how to get this snorkel on without losing your mind.

Read the PDF before ordering - best idea yet.

Rubicon John 07-05-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by pastorwug (Post 3100075)
I read through the entire installation instructions and I'd have to say - no way!
Very involved, no easy afternoon install, my feeling is that once people start receiving their snorkels there's going to be a bunch of threads here on explaining how to get this snorkel on without losing your mind.

Read the PDF before ordering - best idea yet.

I see how it might look overwhelming at first, but if you review each step, it really doesn't seem that bad (IMO).

Normally, I'm tinkering around and taking parts off and putting other parts on the jeep every weekend. It's my LEGO toy now that I'm grown up! ha.

I'm glad RR did a very thorough instruction book. They could have truncated the directions by simply showing what needs to be done vs. showing how to make it happen step by step.

:thumbsup:

wwiifirearms 07-14-2012 12:24 PM

I installed mine last night. 5 hours, including one trip to the store for paint and super glue.

Instructions are well written and easy to follow. It took some time, but it was not a difficult install. I got this one because it is priced right and the modifications are minor. In fact, it came with the parts needed to replace the minor cuts you make, so you can return it to stock if you want.

The only thing I didn't like was that the new air box bottom is not the same quality plastic and design as the OEM unit. I could see the clip attachments breaking over time, but for now they are working fine.
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/c56f99a1.jpg
-wwiifirearms

DougM 07-14-2012 12:50 PM

Looks great! Can't wait for the 2012 version

skippyrock 07-14-2012 01:17 PM

I really like how there is no cuts to the hood. Its alota steps and looks like it will take a full day (for me) but the directions are great quality. I was about ready to pull the trigger on the AEV one but now... hmmmm

For those of you who have it.. does it stick out and block any of your view while driving? Also, do you think it will really be water proof? They have you using alot of sealant.

3Lug 07-14-2012 05:08 PM

Looks great.

tommyluv78 07-14-2012 05:20 PM

Would kc windshield mount brackets work with this?

wwiifirearms 07-14-2012 05:50 PM

I haven't taken it swimming, but the fit is tight on everything, I think the sealant is just a little insurance.

It is definitely visible, but isn't a significant obstruction.

-wwiifirearms

FirewalkerSahara 07-14-2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by tommyluv78

As far as I understand, no. Some people are relocating lights to the bumper or getting a light bar to mount around the windshield frame

Sahara_Maverick 07-14-2012 08:50 PM

Besides installing a snorkel isn't there anything else we need to do to prevent water intake in the mechanical parts such as differentials, transmission, etc? Or everything else is good to go? I had the impression to read somewhere about vents that could let water in. They are OK for shallow fording that would not even require a snorkel.

Any experience with this?

afpilot82 07-14-2012 09:56 PM

Definitely want to extend the breather hoses for the axles, t-case and transmission.

sknahsb 07-15-2012 02:00 AM

Wwiifirearms

I am jealous you we're able to install yours before me, I'll be tackling this in the morning. Looks great.

sip8137 07-15-2012 02:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those of you who have it.. does it stick out and block any of your view while driving? Also, do you think it will really be water proof? They have you using alot of sealant.[/QUOTE]

I installed mine, and love how it doesn't block my view, with the short mount you can't tell you have it while driving, also my thoughts exactly I wonder if it's water proof with all that sealant, only one way to find out!

Attachment 341252

westchester 07-15-2012 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by tommyluv78 (Post 3114799)

Unfortunately not with RR's full length snorkel. I delayed purchasing a snorkel and waited for RR to finalize their snorkel, now it is, Ive bought an AEV snorkel so can keep the windshield lights.

Bernigoober 07-15-2012 05:47 AM

I finished my install last night. I think it looks pretty good, gonna get some pictures posted today. How long should I wait before driving it? The I got locktite rtv and it said it dried in an hour and would fully cure in 24 hours. Do I need to wait 24 hours before I drive the Jeep? I've never used RTV before and dont want to screw it up. :dontknow2:

Thanks!

OH9JK 07-15-2012 06:47 AM

Just don't drive your Jeep through any lakes for 24 hours and you will be fine

:thumbsup:

Bernigoober 07-15-2012 07:15 AM

I think I can manage that. Thanks.

Rubicon John 07-15-2012 02:37 PM

I did the install this weekend. It took about 5 or 6 hours (I took my time and followed the directions closely and ate wings & pizza).

The nutzert plate that sandwiches the snorkel and cowl was a bitch! Getting my hand in and under the cowl from around the hood sucked and made getting the screw closest to the windshield difficult!!! I hope my wiper motor lasts a LONG time, since I don't want to go through that part again. I'd rather cut fenders (that was kind of fun)... :yup:

Hopefully, they'll have replacement parts available to buy. I'd like to get another silicone elbow and get the fitment better around the box. It's not going anywhere, but I'd like another shot at trimming it. The flange on the box should have been made just a little bit longer (IMO).

I'm very pleased with the snorkel. Of course, haven't tried it out in water yet.

I decided to keep my windshield lights, so I'm sporting the lower intake for daily use--however, it's nice to know that I can throw the longer snorkel on if needed.

From the driver's seat, it sounds pretty cool with the doors off. I may be crazy, but thought that it had a little more pick up than normal. However, it's probably just the same as before and I was noting better acceleration since I was getting on it vs. my regular driving style.

Jonathan_JK 02-01-2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by afpilot82 (Post 3115151)
Definitely want to extend the breather hoses for the axles, t-case and transmission.

I'm going to do this. Only problem is I found the breather hoses for the front and rear. Where is the Breather hose for the T case?

Sierra141 02-01-2016 09:50 PM

Disregard my last

wwiifirearms 04-20-2017 02:31 PM

Just wanted to give Rugged Ridge props for supporting their product. I bought this 4 years and 11 months ago. 40 days before the 5 year warranty was up I noticed a tiny crack in the plastic snorkel body, and 5 winters of salted roads had taken their toll on the fasteners. I snapped some pics, found my receipt, and openned a case with Rugged Ridge. Same day I was notified a replacement snorkel body was on it's way to me. Super friendly, super easy, took care of their customer.