Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rugged Ridge tailgate stop

Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rugged Ridge tailgate stop

Anyone tried this? I received one as a gift and was going to install it but it says will not work with the factory sub. The directions do not indicate why it won't work and looking at it, I don't know why it matters?

Feedback?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

I think that one of the attachment points is exactly where the sub is located and that's why it won't work with the sub. Other than that I have no experience with the product, other than my wife probably wouldn't mind having one when she's loading groceries in the Jeep.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a chance to look at it and I answered my own question. It has nothing to so with the attachments or actual operation of the door stop. It is the location of it whenever you shut the tailgate. If mounted were they say, it will hit the sub woofer. But, I found, if you move it slightly to the right, the tailgate will shut fine.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

got any pics of this setup?
Old 03-06-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mdlion2222
got any pics of this setup?
No, but I'll snap a few this weekend and post.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Default photos

Let me start by saying that Rugged Ridge makes some good products but IMO, this isn't one of them. That said, I was given a RR tailgate stop as a gift so I decided to try it. For anyone that buys this, here are my observations.

The instructions are pretty clear but the first concern was drilling four 1/2" holes in my tailgate for the rubber lock nuts.
The tailgate on the JK is not made of much and using that large of a drill bit is difficult with such thin metal, even working my way up with smaller bits! I positioned the stop where it wouldn't hit my sub woofer whenever the gate was closed and drilled my pilot holes. On the inside corner I hit the edge of the aluminum brace under the sheet metal of the gate. Because of the angle, I couldn't get the hole to drill straight and was forced to move over slightly to the left. Now I'm upset, even though the stop will cover up the unused hole, I still know it's there! Got the holes dirlled but, BE CAREFUL as if you over drill, you will poke through the OUTSIDE OF YOUR TAILGATE!! (No, this didn't happen but it could very easily) There is no warning of this in the instructions either. Once installed the rubber lock nuts tighten down pretty snug. Whenever the stop is extended it hits the rubber of the door seal. I fear that with the stop extended, it's only a matter of time before someone tries to slam the tailgate and who knows what will happen to those rubber lock nuts holding the stop on or the rubber that seals my tailgate?
I think there are better products that require less drilling and will probably be safer in the long run.

In the closed position:

Extended position:

With door closed: (tight fit by sub)

Looking down:

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge tailgate stop