Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Switch Through Firewall

Old 12-14-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Switch Through Firewall

Before you guys slam me for posting about running the wires into the cab; I know there are several threads and I have already read them. Here is my issue:

I am trying to run the switch from my relay into the cab and was going to use the foam access hole. Well after punching through it and clearing ALL the foam there is not enough room for me to fit the plug through there. Where else can I get this plug into the engine bay to hook up to my relay. I have a manual so don't bother saying the grommet to the side of the brake booster since that where the cluctch is going. Please help me out with pictures or something this is my first time wiring aux lights up. When I figured out the plug wouldn't fit through I said more than a couple words since that is where most everyone has been using. Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If you don't find a hole big enough for the plug, see if the wires will disconnect from the plug.
If they are soldered, unsolder them. If they snap in, see if you can unsnap them.
As a last resort. cut the plug off and splice it back on after the wires are through the firewall.

What's on the other end of the wire? Is it a fitting you can cut off and crimp on a new one?
Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's another grommet by the booster for wires. My 2010 was a manual and that's where you run the bundle for the sPod. Follow the wires in the rear of the engine bay and washer fluid (If you have a hard top), and you should be able to find it easily.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	516813

You can just see it just underneath the green electrical taped conduit on the right. Mind you, at this point, besides the OE wiring and washer fluid hose, I also have the bundle of wires from my sPod, the air hose from my OBA and the power and ground wire from my CB, so if looks a bit busy back there, it was. It should be plenty big enough for your needs.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vin
Attachment 516813

You can just see it just underneath the green electrical taped conduit on the right. Mind you, at this point, besides the OE wiring and washer fluid hose, I also have the bundle of wires from my sPod, the air hose from my OBA and the power and ground wire from my CB, so if looks a bit busy back there, it was. It should be plenty big enough for your needs.
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll see if I can take the plug apart otherwise I'll use the grommet Vin was talking about.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jstikel3
Before you guys slam me for posting about running the wires into the cab; I know there are several threads and I have already read them. Here is my issue:

I am trying to run the switch from my relay into the cab and was going to use the foam access hole. Well after punching through it and clearing ALL the foam there is not enough room for me to fit the plug through there. Where else can I get this plug into the engine bay to hook up to my relay. I have a manual so don't bother saying the grommet to the side of the brake booster since that where the cluctch is going. Please help me out with pictures or something this is my first time wiring aux lights up. When I figured out the plug wouldn't fit through I said more than a couple words since that is where most everyone has been using. Thanks guys.
How about pics of both ends of your wiring harness you are trying to install?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

did not read through all the posts, but here's my input.

I don't have any pics but if you want I can snap one tomorrow.

What I did, since I have a standart I don't have much place to route wires, so I have drilled a hole above the steering column, and installed a rubber gromet, so I could route my wires in there without compromising any other gromet or taking the chance to damage wires inside the said gromet.

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holeshot
did not read through all the posts, but here's my input.

I don't have any pics but if you want I can snap one tomorrow.

What I did, since I have a standart I don't have much place to route wires, so I have drilled a hole above the steering column, and installed a rubber gromet, so I could route my wires in there without compromising any other gromet or taking the chance to damage wires inside the said gromet.
Whatever works for you :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input yall, i ended up taking the plug apart and feeding the wires through the foam behind the air vent. Lights look great and are bright as can be.

Quick Reply: Running Switch Through Firewall