Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rusty's tube intake

Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rusty's tube intake

Does anyone have the Rusty's Offroad tube intake? It's only 40 bucks without a filter, about 70 with a K&N, but I see no heat shield? Did I get ripped off & waste 240 bucks on the Air Raid or is the Air Raid worth the extra cash?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rustys-off-road-air-tube-filters-4038/

I am thinkin about getting the rusty's air tube, we talked about it a little on this thread. I would imagine it is the same thing, just without the name brand on it and the protection like the air raid has.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine (the Air Raid) has a smooth tube that goes from the air filter back, I didn't know whether that made any difference or if the larger K&N filter would have better airflow.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

I am planning on building my own also, thought some of you might find this link of interest.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-Coo.../dp/B000GKIESY
Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

The Rusty's set-up appears to lack any dedicated, heat-shielded, sealed-off "chamber" for the inrushing cold air to stay cold, whereas my AIRAID has a very nicely designed and integrated metal chamber that seals with the top of the hood to create an isolated "chamber," shielded from engine heat... maybe a negligible difference, but I'm very happy with my AIRAID. I was really impressed with the product's fit & finish - it fit together VERY tightly, and I'm beginning to think I got an especially good one, because I haven't experienced any of the dreaded "CAI Whistle" that some others have complained about.

Additionally, AIRAID came in as the top-rated filter for filtration (very narrowly edging out AEM) in a 4x4 dirt comparison test (don't have the link to the forum post handy, but search the forum and you'll find it), whereas even the mighty K&N finished beneath these...

So, Rusty's may be a nice "budget" air intake, but I'd have to think that AIRAID is better - I'm using my own personal experience with my AIRAID (admittedly without any point of comparison for Rusty's), plus the old "you get what you pay for" maxim... Just my $.02.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the rusty's intake. It seems to give me a good little boost. My buddy had a jeep without, and I can tell the diff. I don't have a shield on it, and i think that makes a difference on highway driving - cold air gets to it easily. But i don't know how it will work in the summer. Seems to do fine in traffic also. Love the whistle it gives.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
Mine (the Air Raid) has a smooth tube that goes from the air filter back, I didn't know whether that made any difference or if the larger K&N filter would have better airflow.
Yup yup. You got that right. Smoothing out the air transition is just as important as keeping heat out. That thing uses the stock intake tube with all those stupid folds in it. It's a waste of money. But then, so are most CAIs.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 01-22-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Rusty's tube intake