Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

School me on Tie Rods

Old 11-05-2019, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on Tie Rods

Noticed today while installing my new Crown Auto TR that one end has a castle nut and the other end has a lock nut...also the end with the castle nut has a zerk fitting, the other end does not. Got me wondering why?
Old 11-05-2019, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Probably different designs from different manufacturers. Curious if they have where they are made printed on something, or any other identification?
Old 11-06-2019, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That is odd- I've always seen castle nuts on the tie rods and suspension components in general (drag link and ball joints come to mind). Is there a hole for a cotter key on the non- castle nut side? Also- is it a nylock nut or is it one of those tension ones where it's stamped? Either way, I would prefer the safety of the castle nut and key.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That is odd- I've always seen castle nuts on the tie rods and suspension components in general (drag link and ball joints come to mind). Is there a hole for a cotter key on the non- castle nut side? Also- is it a nylock nut or is it one of those tension ones where it's stamped? Either way, I would prefer the safety of the castle nut and key.
there is no hole for a cotter pin on the non castle nut side......also it is a nylon lock nut.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I just did a quick search and apparently it's not uncommon to have a nylock nut on there. I think I'd personally rather have the sense of security with a castle nut but Crown Auto who makes factory style replacement pieces (style, maybe or maybe not quality), has nylock nuts on both ends of their rod.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Can you still return it?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Can you still return it?
There is nothing wrong with the TR itself...just had me wondering why it’s like that. I’m a newbie at Jeeps so I like to ask a lot of questions...wasn’t sure if this was normal
Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Something seems fishy. Everyone focusing on the nut, but the fact that only one end has a zerk doesn't seem right. Almost like someone bought that, removed an end, screwed a different end in and returned it. idk....but something isn't right.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhit83
There is nothing wrong with the TR itself...just had me wondering why it’s like that. I’m a newbie at Jeeps so I like to ask a lot of questions...wasn’t sure if this was normal
If it's using a castle nut without a hole in the rod to put a pin through it to prevent the castle nut from rotating, then that's either a really bad design or something isn't right where either way, I would return it.

The different ends sounds fishy as well, but without seeing if they're using 2 different types of joints, it's hard to say since I've never seen a Crown TR in person. Typically Crown makes OEM knock-off parts and when I look at the pic below of the Crown kit, it sounds like you may be missing some parts, such as a tie rod end.

The bottom rod in the picture below is my stock TR which I replaced. So looking at that picture above of the Crown kit, that bottom rod looks like the TR....but it looks like it needs that TR end underneath it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,600 Posts

There's nothing wrong with asking questions at all, that's the best way to learn; however, everyone here is raising red flags.

Quick Reply: School me on Tie Rods