Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severed Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Wires

Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severed Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Wires

So I'm cruising across a field after a long day of wheeling when BAM nailed a small ditch. My ABS, and ESP/BAS lights immediately came on. Went to Advance the next day to diagnose the problem, and it said that the right rear wheel speed sensor circuit was bad. So I hop under the Jeep and find that the sensor was probably okay because the wiring was severed in half! The little clip that keeps the loom and wires down had come out on both sides and on the passenger side my bumpstop literally cut the wires in half. Anyways, I poorly spliced them back together and disconnected the battery for about an hour, but the dash is still lit up. I thought that I nailed down which one was which, but I'm wondering if I spliced them backwards? Anyways, how do you guys suggest I go about rewiring these damn things? Also if I did get them backwards (which I am 90% sure I did not), are my sensors now shot also? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Save yourselft the headache just buy a new wheel speed sensor. I replaced one in the front, cost me $25.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's $35 at the stealership closest to me, and then I still have to mess with the wiring. Rears don't come with a harness.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump. I know somebody out there has to know something I don't.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

I pinched my front left wheel speed sensor wires in half when doing my steering setup and it was a simple splice back together with electrical tape fix. The wires are different colors and there are only two so it would be hard to mess that up. If it's still giving you lights the sensor might have just gone bad, which can happen. I've replaced two. Also after you install, drive about a mile to make sure the computer realizes your shit's back together.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, man! I spliced them back together yesterday and the lights went off. I'm just hoping that they don't rip when I'm at full flex or whatever. I'm probably gonna have to do some extensions at some point down the road.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
Thanks for the reply, man! I spliced them back together yesterday and the lights went off. I'm just hoping that they don't rip when I'm at full flex or whatever. I'm probably gonna have to do some extensions at some point down the road.
What guage wire did you use?

I tried sending you a PM but your inbox was full.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I literally just threw them back together. I'm gonna go back later and extend them a bit.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to follow up. 18 gauge wire worked perfectly.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent, thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Severed Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Wires