Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock swap.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock swap.

Hi jeepers.

My 2013 JKU freedom edition is close to 56k miles with the original shocks. I added some extra weight on the jeep (steel full front and full back bumpers with 12k rated front winch) in the past so I plan on replacing the shocks soon.

I dont have a lift, my tires are only one size bigger than stock.

I figured a small upgrade in shocks could only help since Ive added extra weight to the jeep so I bought a full set of red Rubicon shocks used with ten miles on them with a great price.

Anyone here upgraded from OEM JKU shocks to OEM JKU Rubicon shocks? If so has it been beneficial regarding the response/ride? Easy swap/install? Will I need any special tools?

My JKU sits level and I would like keep it that way. Would I have to get aftermarket springs to feel the benefits of the (new to me) Rubicon shocks installed?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by TxCoastie
Hi jeepers.

My 2013 JKU freedom edition is close to 56k miles with the original shocks. I added some extra weight on the jeep (steel full front and full back bumpers with 12k rated front winch) in the past so I plan on replacing the shocks soon.

I dont have a lift, my tires are only one size bigger than stock.

I figured a small upgrade in shocks could only help since Ive added extra weight to the jeep so I bought a full set of red Rubicon shocks used with ten miles on them with a great price.

Anyone here upgraded from OEM JKU shocks to OEM JKU Rubicon shocks? If so has it been beneficial regarding the response/ride? Easy swap/install? Will I need any special tools?

My JKU sits level and I would like keep it that way. Would I have to get aftermarket springs to feel the benefits of the (new to me) Rubicon shocks installed?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Thanks.
easy install and will feel better and if happy with height stock coils are fine. Passenger side upper bolt can be a little tough but just break some of the plastic away or use a dremil tool to grind some of the plastic away
Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Easy swap with hand tools. As mentioned, the plastic on the passenger side has to be clearanced, but no big deal. Shocks are stiffer. If you got a good deal on em, go for it. No downside.
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I went ahead and also picked up a set of used 19/60 Mopar springs to help carry that extra weight. My current (stock) springs on the JKU are 17/59.

19/60 springs with Rubicon shocks would only help I would think. Im not looking (or expecting) for lift just extra support to offset the extra weight of the winch, and both steel bumpers.

Any other OEM suspension parts linked to the system I would need to ugrade?

​​​
Old 03-03-2018, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

add a set if 1/2-3/4" spacers at the same time. They are cheap and will add no more work.
The following users liked this post:
Rancho (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

What is the benefit of adding the spacers? Are they needed?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

they will give you a little lift so not only will it look better you can run a little bigger tire if you want. Mostly looks tho. If you have a heavy front bumper with winch even with the 19 front coils you are going to sag a bit so you will have more rake.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Im thinking 3/4" spacers for the front with the 19/60 coils and Rubicon shocks will support the added weight and level it out.

Any negative reasons to add the spacers?

I wouldnt have to be replace my bump stops for longer aftermarket bump stops?

Also is it necessary to have a coil compressor with this task?

Last edited by TxCoastie; 03-07-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of your help. I swapped the 17/58's for the 19/60's. Swapped the oem shocks for Rubicon shocks and added 3/4" spacers on the fronts to help level things out.

Fun project by myself. Jeep feels for stable, no more seesawing when hitting road bumps, the front end sits more level with the rear, no nose diving during stopping, and the jeep takes corners better.

Overall a much better feeling while driving. Thanks to each of you that added your input.

*beach pic shows front end sagging before. After swap pic shows more level stance.*

Quick Reply: Shock swap.