Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

shocks???

Old 02-22-2010, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks???

How much lift can you go without replacing your stock shocks...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 2" after that you should really get some longer ones or at least some adapters.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

even at 2" of lift, i would recommend getting new shocks. while it may not be necessary, you will limit your wheel travel if you don't. i'd say 1" is the max you should go without needing to address your shocks.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
even at 2" of lift, i would recommend getting new shocks. while it may not be necessary, you will limit your wheel travel if you don't. i'd say 1" is the max you should go without needing to address your shocks.
if at 2 inches u need to address shocks, what about brake line extensions?????? are they needed?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
if at 2 inches u need to address shocks, what about brake line extensions?????? are they needed?
in the rear, yes. i would at the very least install a set of brake line drop brackets. up front, the lines are much longer and addressing them isn't necessary at this height.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi

in the rear, yes. i would at the very least install a set of brake line drop brackets. up front, the lines are much longer and addressing them isn't necessary at this height.
thanks WOL!!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

On the same topic, I'm planning on putting a 4" spring lift in soon (already have the springs and arms). I was thinking of leaving my 2" BB spacers in the rear as the bumper/carrier weighs so much, it sags the rear end.

Can I get 6" travel shocks all around, or should I buy 4" fronts and 6" rears (which may be an obvious answer)?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN
On the same topic, I'm planning on putting a 4" spring lift in soon (already have the springs and arms). I was thinking of leaving my 2" BB spacers in the rear as the bumper/carrier weighs so much, it sags the rear end.

Can I get 6" travel shocks all around, or should I buy 4" fronts and 6" rears (which may be an obvious answer)?
honestly, i think you should install your lift as is first and then decide whether or not you really need to install additional 2" spacers or buy significantly longer shocks. i think you may find that when all is said and done, the amount of sag you see from the extra weight is only about .5"-1" tops and that 2" would be over kill.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

honestly, i think you should install your lift as is first and then decide whether or not you really need to install additional 2" spacers or buy significantly longer shocks. i think you may find that when all is said and done, the amount of sag you see from the extra weight is only about .5"-1" tops and that 2" would be over kill.
Good point...it's sitting on stock springs now, which may be much softer.
I think I read a thread somewhere about different spring rates on different models....though I dare not post a thread about "Sahara" springs and incite further contempt.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by VEGASSMAN
Good point...it's sitting on stock springs now, which may be much softer.
I think I read a thread somewhere about different spring rates on different models....though I dare not post a thread about "Sahara" springs and incite further contempt.
"contempt"? are you kidding me?? geeze louise
while there are different spring rates for the different JK's (something like 22 different springs if memory serves me right), it's really not enough to matter. being that you're gonna be installing new coils, you'll be playing with an entirely different ball of wax. i know it's hard to do but small steps is your friend - get only what you need based on what you know and not what you think you'll need.

Quick Reply: shocks???