Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SHOULD I be looking at Sleeves and C Gussets too or not?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SHOULD I be looking at Sleeves and C Gussets too or not?

Hi everyone one I'm getting regeared in 6 days to 5.13's I have an Auto 09 4dr JK lifted 3" and on 35" tires. Should I also be looking at Sleeves and C Gussets for my front Dana 30?
Or is it not necessary?? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-320146138.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	162221  
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the experts told me any tire near a 35 you will need gussets. sleeves are next on my list, then i'll be happy with my 30 until i swap it out after my rig is paid for. i would say beefin up your 30 now will save you time money and heartache later. so to answer your question, yes it's needed
Old 05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

All depends on budget and usage IMO. If you aren't on the trail a whole lot, and when you are you take it easy...probably don't need it as long as you stick with 35s. Good insurance...absolutely. If you can do it yourself like me...no brainer. Is it worth the few hundred bucks for the shop you're going with to do it while they are in there, I think so. If you're strapped for cash, may not be worth it depending on your situation. But only you know your budget and usage.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Junkie

Ok thanks... New to this ..... So Sleeves and C Gussets are something that can be done separate or best do it at same time? C Gussets more important????
Thanks again
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Any thoughts of upgrading to a front 44/60? If so, go with a minimal investment into the 30.

If not, gussets, sleeves and ca skids are relatively low cost insurance. As far as when to install them goes, it's the same argument as when to install a locker. When they do the gears, they have to rip the entire axle apart. Same with the locker. Same with the sleeves. Doing them all at the same time saves on the labor costs, so get as much done as your budget will allow. If you wait, you pay the labor costs for them to rip apart the whole axle a second time, and a third time.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ok thanks... New to this ..... So Sleeves and C Gussets are something that can be done separate or best do it at same time? C Gussets more important????
Thanks again
Well, I would say that the axle C's are a little more prone to bending than the axle tube...at least more common. Therefore, I would do them first if you had to spread it out. If you are thinking about the inner axle sleeves, it really makes sense to do it while everything is already apart vs. taking it apart twice. Myself, i got the exo axle sleeves so i didn't have to take anything apart
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

i ordered 35"s about a week ago and once i get some more cash scraped up ill prolly get C gussets and sleeves all done at the same time to save money on labor, it's pretty much cheap insurance, well atleast cheaper than buying a whole new axle and PS the Teraflex C gussets are beefy as sh@t, checkem out
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

Ok thanks again to all.. I'll call the shop tomorrow to see if 6 days is enough notice to get the extra parts in..., I have the teraflex full lift I like there product so I'll check them out.... Thanks again yo everyone. Rob
Old 05-19-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a quick question: it looks like ORE is the only company that has "dual O ring seals" to protect from debris in their seals. Is this needed? Companies like Teraflex and R-SE make no mention of these seals but are also a lot cheaper? Any insight?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

dont have the answer but ORE has good stuff, and those are def the best sleeves

Quick Reply: SHOULD I be looking at Sleeves and C Gussets too or not?