Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should be done?
STRAIGHT PIPE IT!!!
28.57%
SUCK IT UP!
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Should I straight pipe?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant09
I don't know how removing the cats will affect performance (very little from what I understand) but you certainly don't want to remove the o2 sensors. The engine computer uses the readings from those to control the fuel mixture. It'll still run without them (although with the light on the dash on all the time) because there's a default tune the engine uses until the o2 sensors warm up but if you remove them then you're using that default all the time. This isn't ideal, especially with the elevation changes you mentioned.
the engineers designed the hot pipe ( section with cats ) to produce a certian pressure wave. If you remove them it will cause a loss in low end. In some engines it is much more noticable then others. On avergae if you open up the exhaust on a NA engine you lose some low end and gain some high end but on the jk unless you roll around town at 5K rpm + its pointless. the low end is more usefull. AND its just really loud and anoying.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldnt be hard to purchase a dynomax or magnaflow or any muffler (flowmaster, cherry bomb, etc.) for less than $100 bucks and just clamp it or weld it on. It will give it more growl but wont sound like a choking fart cannon. I took my stock muffler off just to see what it sounded like. It wasn't long before it was put back on.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will sound horrible and you won't gain anything.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor

Dont do it.

I have Borla Long Tube headers that dont include cats. They sound great at idle but I needed to run a flowmaster 44 and a magnaflow resonator to keep it from sounding like a screaming prepubescent boy while driving. On top of that, you will lose power. I had it on a dyno and dropped roughly ~10hp.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MavisJk
It wouldnt be hard to purchase a dynomax or magnaflow or any muffler (flowmaster, cherry bomb, etc.) for less than $100 bucks and just clamp it or weld it on. It will give it more growl but wont sound like a choking fart cannon. I took my stock muffler off just to see what it sounded like. It wasn't long before it was put back on.
We agree! Replacing your muffler with a quality straight-through aftermarket unit will be an affordable way to get more sound out of your exhaust, and will sound much better than deleting it altogether.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has the cats gutted with no muffler, it just dumps over the exhaust.. It is loud and definitely not for everyone but I will say that it's not rice-ey sounding at all. I've been asked way too many times what v8 it has.. Although I don't think it sounds like a v8 and the people that asked probably have no mechanical knowledge, that's here nor there. I previously had the dynomax super turbo muffler and it sounded absolutely terrible..
Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, thanks to all of your wonderful input, for which I am very grateful, I have decided not to straight pipe the vehicle and live with it just being a quite jeep.

If you are just tuning in to the forum, the bottom line is this: don't remove the cats. Your jeep will lose too much performance for it to be worthwhile. If you want it to be louder, only work on the muffler and look into a new muffler system. That is all.

Quick Reply: Should I straight pipe?