Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should I upgrade Dana 30 to 44 instead of re-gearing, etc?

Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by decoy5657
I bought a Rubi axle for $1800 on ebay a couple years ago, bought a rear with 4.10 for $1100 off the forums, and sold my 30/44 combo for $1k on the forums. Was a cheaper route to get slightly upgraded gears and lockers for me at the time. Deals are out there, but you have to be patient. Still, for this OP, probably overkill.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by decoy5657
Thanks for the tips everyone! Lots of good info. It's nice to hear from folks who have actually done some miles and not keyboard warriors. Overlanding is what actually got me interested in Jeep life.

I dont plan on being on Ultimate Adventure or climbing walls in Moab. I couldn't stomach the cost of potential damage.

I mentioned lockers because the axles will be open... why not put a truetrac in?

Winch is definitely on my list of additions.

I'm going to:
* Reinforce the D30
* Truetrac in the D44
* Wheels/tires

Just gotta pick a gear ratio!
Selectable traction is the way to go up front. Probably not necessary in your case. Locking the rear has the most advantage and is still more user friendly even if going with just an automatic locker. Since you want to go the overlanding route. It would make sense to focus on recovery gear and some other rigs for your exploring. Traction ramps, shackles, straps, shovel all much cheaper than most axle upgrades. Glad I am just repeating what most have said. I usually like to take a poll for things like this, go with the majority.
The Dana 30 will be fine. Strengthen it some and you should be good for the life of the Jeep. In regards to gearing, go 1 step higher than you think. You said 4.10's I would say while you are there do 4.56's as you will end up with a lot of weight as your build and gear grow. Would not be fun to finish the gearing and wish you had more.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info again! Thank you! I'm still deciding what tire size to run. 285/70 - 285/75 - or 35x12.50. Probably 285/75 and the 4.10 option. Trying to see if anyone around me has one I can ride in.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The truetrac is a limited slip, not a full locker. Unlike full lockers, it needs some type of resistance to transfer power. With a tire in the air, that resistance comes from a small amount of brake pressure.

Basically, this is what the BLD system does electronically. Senses wheel slip, and adds brake pressure to that tire to transfer power to the tire that still has traction. The benefit with the truetrac is that the BLD system will apply the brakes for you. So BLD is better than open diffs. BLD + Truetrac is better than BLD alone. And lockers are better still.

For what it's worth, I have run front/rear truetracs, front/rear Detroit auto-lockers, and currently have front/rear selectables. For my typical usage, the truetracs are my favorites. I went to selectables this time around just because I could, not because I needed them...

After reading this discussion, I've come the realization that I was going down the wrong mod road by planning to replace my D30 (3.73), mostly for purposes to re-gear and add lockers. However, I've also realized I'm more of an overlander now that I know what that means as well.

So since I'm learning new things, can someone throw me a bone and tell me what "BLD" is? I hate all these 3 letter acronyms that get thrown around and everyone just assumes everyone else knows what they're talking about. I'm going to assume that my 1st guess of Bush League Differential is probably incorrent.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
After reading this discussion, I've come the realization that I was going down the wrong mod road by planning to replace my D30 (3.73), mostly for purposes to re-gear and add lockers. However, I've also realized I'm more of an overlander now that I know what that means as well.

So since I'm learning new things, can someone throw me a bone and tell me what "BLD" is? I hate all these 3 letter acronyms that get thrown around and everyone just assumes everyone else knows what they're talking about. I'm going to assume that my 1st guess of Bush League Differential is probably incorrent.
Haha, BLD is Brake Lock Differential. There are some good demo videos on YouTube as well, it really is a great system if you understand how it works. A common mistake I see people making is they let off the gas when a wheel starts to spin, with BLD you are supposed to maintain pressure on the gas and then it kicks in. It uses the ABS system to apply brake pressure to spinning wheel, forcing power to the wheel with traction. Check out the link below.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-o...ockers-296749/

Last edited by jeepfan30; 12-15-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jeepfan30
Haha, BLD is Brake Lock Differential. There are some good demo videos on YouTube as well, it really is a great system if you understand how it works. A common mistake I see people making is they let off the gas when a wheel starts to spin, with BLD you are supposed to maintain pressure on the gas and then it kicks in. It uses the ABS system to apply brake pressure to spinning wheel, forcing power to the wheel with traction. Check out the link below.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-o...ockers-296749/
Perfect thanks!!! So JK's 2007+ all, already have BLD on them as long as the traction control is turned on? Am I understanding that correctly? That's a mod that I can afford. So just adding a LSD (TruLoc) on non Rubi models would provide the combined improvement when running them together?

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-15-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Perfect thanks!!! So JK's 2007+ all, already have BLD in them already as long as the traction control is turned on? Am I understanding that correctly? That's a mod that I can afford. So just adding a LSD (TruLoc) on non Rubi models would provide the combined improvement when running them together?
Yes. The way I like to explain LSD Truetrac and BLD is...BLD will stop your wheels from spinning once they are already spinning, and a Truetrac will prevent your wheels from spinning in the first place. Truetracs transfer the power instantly because they are gear driven (hard parts vs electronics). Also, as long as both wheel are in contact with ground Truetrac will provide power to both wheels. So, yes they compliment each other.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Great info!!! I get it. Lockers are off my mod plan path now, I don't do any rock hill climbing. Mostly offroad forest wilderness, small stream crossings, mud, snow, sand and small hills which have a relatively flat surface. The only thing I would likely see raising a tire off the ground would be a tree laying across my path.

LSD front and rear?

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-15-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great info!!! I get it. Lockers are off my mod plan path now, I don't do any rock hill climbing. Mostly offroad forest wilderness, small stream crossings, mud, snow, sand and small hills which have a relatively flat surface. The only thing I would likely see raising a tire off the ground would be a tree laying across my path.

LSD front and rear?
I have LSD front and rear. If you are re-gearing and have the money I would do both.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So just adding a LSD (TruLoc) on non Rubi models ...
Just a bit of clarification:

Tru Lok is the factory electronic locker. Only works in Rubicon d44's (or aftermarket housings designed to fit this locker).
Trac Lok is the factory limited slip, optional in rear non-rubicon d44's.
TrueTrac is made by Eaton/Detroit.

The factory limited slip uses clutches. Clutch based limiteds don't have the best reputation offroad, as the clutches tend to wear out and need to be replaced. The Truetrac is gear based, no clutches to wear out. Very well reviewed pretty much everywhere you look.

LSD front and rear?
Since I'm spending 'your' money ... absolutely!

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I upgrade Dana 30 to 44 instead of re-gearing, etc?