Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should my springs bow & hit stuff like this?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should my springs bow & hit stuff like this?

Hey all -

This is a 2007. 10 years ago Mel at ORE installed the Full Traction 3" Ultimate. Been running those springs ever since. Also added a lot of weight since then. A couple years ago, I had to add 2" (!) spacers to the front to keep it looking reasonably level.

All four springs are visibly bowed. The right front, shown here, contacts the sway bar, and the right rear contacts the track bar, which makes a lot of racket when the suspension is flexing. I can also tell that both rear springs are poorly seated, looking randomly off-center on the bottom

So, maybe a n00b question, but here goes: Is it normal for springs at rest to appear obviously bowed like this?

If these springs are fatigued and need to be replaced, how do I go about selecting the correct rate for my ride height and weight? Do I need to go through a weigh station and get a F/R reading? Then how do I find the right springs?

Thanks for any advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0593.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	666812
Old 02-18-2017, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No expert here but what I would do is buy a set of springs from a manufacture that sells just the springs @ in sure there are a few that do or you might need springs and shocks" and just replace them. Here is an example you can go with what ever lift company you want.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/c...FdcegQodNEoC6w

I wouldn't worry about spring rate as I don think you will find any info unless you get into coil-overs that's the only time I've seen specific rates.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What other components are installed? Is it just springs/shocks or do you have other bits in as well? It looks like your end links are pretty short which could be the reason why that is contacting ... In the back at that height you may need to roll the axle. I think some companies sell spring wedges or if you don't have them already get adjustable arms to be able to move/roll the axle to reduce bowing

Quick Reply: Should my springs bow & hit stuff like this?