Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Should my winch work with engine off??

Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should my winch work with engine off??

I have a Smittybilt XRC8 Winch (not so great). It does not work with the engine off. I have a BenchMark Dual Battery K.I.S.S. kit installed (great product) and Optima YellowTops. I understand the winch creates a big amp and voltage draw but even with the key on and two Optima batteries in parallel all I get is a slight clicking sound from the winch. With the engine running and the alternator buzzing the winch works just fine. So is that normal or do you guys find your winch will work without the engine running?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My winch works without the engine running but I only run it for a second or two to let some cable out before I free spool. then I turn onthe engine and get my RPMS up when under load.

Not sure why it isnt working, may be you need a new battery, not sure.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

it will work but the battery will be dead after you winch out without it running.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

The batteries are good but it never has. What kind of winch do you have?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS
it will work but the battery will be dead after you winch out without it running.
Yea I understand it would kill a battery in short order and its a crapping idea to winch without the engine running. The only times I have needed to so far I have used it with the AEV ProCal and had the vehicle idling at 2500, but I do some river crossing from time to time and if I ever stall it out I like the idea of being able to pull the vehicle out of the water even if it costs me both batteries.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Yeah...it has to be powered by the battery that is available, not switched through something that might be off when the ignition is off, etc.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Don't take this the wrong way, but; Do you have your winch hooked up the Accessory Battery or the Starter battery? My understanding is the K.I.S.S. System keeps them isolated when the key is off..
The winch is wired direct to the auxillary battery. The KISS kit has a very simple solenoid that switches on with the key is in the on position to hook the batteries up in parallel. So it really shouldn't matter if the key is on or off the winch is always hard wired to at least one battery. Sounds like some winches will run for at least sometime on just the battery. Mine does not and never has.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Even though you turn the key on, my understanding of the Benchmark system is that it does not parallel the batteries until system voltage reaches 13.1(?) VDC. Your JK will only reach this voltage when the engine is running, the alternator is charging and the starter battery has been recharged. This should only take a minute or two after the engine starts. If the start battery has been drained by something this will take longer for the Benchmark to parallel.

Which battery are you connected to? Starter or Auxiliary?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So you went cheapo on the winch and full bore on the battery kit?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
So you went cheapo on the winch and full bore on the battery kit?

That's funny, yea I use the batteries alot more then the winch. Anyhow guys this is not about the batteries or the BenchMark kit. The KISS kit is very simple and that what I like about it. With the key off the batteries are isolated and with the key on the batteries run in parallel. I think Benchmark makes a SMART kit that monitors the voltage and switches off and on based on that but not the KISS kit. I wonder if the winch is designed to "look" for higher voltage that indicates the alternator is running before a soleniod will engage the electric motor. That what it seems like but I bet the solenoid is more likely just failing.

Quick Reply: Should my winch work with engine off??