Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Significant Noise, Clutch?

Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Significant Noise, Clutch?

Posted about this earlier but have more info now as to what I'm dealing with.

Bought an 2011 JKU with about 60k miles - just finished the last of my work, putting on Duratrac 315/75r16 tires and wheels on Spidertrax 1.25" spacers. I have no lift and Mopar High Top Flares.

First 30 miles were great, but now getting a significant rotational rotational thunk sound from the rear when I'm in neutrual/clutch is disengaged. The sound is there but less noticeable while coasting, but nonexistent while accelerating. The thunk speeds up and slows down with the speed of the Jeep.

Anyone know what I'm dealing with here and what may have brought it on?

Last edited by sheppdc; 01-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

to add - for the hell of it I tried throwing it into 4WD, at which point the noise/thunk was constant, neutral, accelerating, etc. Getting extremely concerned
Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you here the noise on start up or is it only after movement? I had a noise/vibration at speeds 50-60 MPH that I swore was coming from under my gas pedal thought for sure was the front drive shaft, removed the front shaft and drove it still had vibration. I ended up replacing/upgrading my front and rear drive shafts (have had a 2 1/2" lift for 5 years and ran 33 now 35" tires), vibration disappeared after driveshaft replacement suspect it was the rear shaft although I didn't have any obvious play or movement. Although you don't have a lift I would check drive shafts first.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

No sound on startup, only while moving. And to be clear, it’s a pronounced thunk that speeds up with increased speed of the Jeep. Comparable to driving on a flat tire type of thunk.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe this article can help you,https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-tim-charlet
Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sheppdc
Posted about this earlier but have more info now as to what I'm dealing with.

Bought an 2011 JKU with about 60k miles - just finished the last of my work, putting on Duratrac 315/75r16 tires and wheels on Spidertrax 1.25" spacers. I have no lift and Mopar High Top Flares.

First 30 miles were great, but now getting a significant rotational rotational thunk sound from the rear when I'm in neutrual/clutch is disengaged. The sound is there but less noticeable while coasting, but nonexistent while accelerating. The thunk speeds up and slows down with the speed of the Jeep.

Anyone know what I'm dealing with here and what may have brought it on?
Mine was the rear diff. Similar sounds.

Quick Reply: Significant Noise, Clutch?