Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ski rack

Old 12-29-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ski rack

I have been having some problems with finding a ski rack that works with this rig. So here is my problem, I have a smittybilt rear bumper. This means that my spare has a spacer on it which pushes the tire out. Also I have underground parking in my apartment which isn't very tall. All that being said I had a hitch mount rack, it wouldn't allow the tailgate to open and with my board on it my rig wouldn't fit into the garage. So my next option is a roof rack, I already have a Thule universal from a previous rig. With this rack would I fit into a garage easily? My 13 JKUR is stock height and I might have anywhere from 6-12 inches of space between my roof and the garage ceiling. I'm open to other suggestions as well, thanks in advanced.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure the setup you have right now but I have a Thule bike rack with their ski rack on it and a extension from the hitch and have no problems and the rack pivots down to allow the door to open
Old 12-29-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by triplethreat5188
I'm not sure the setup you have right now but I have a Thule bike rack with their ski rack on it and a extension from the hitch and have no problems and the rack pivots down to allow the door to open
Thanks! I will give it a look.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 12-30-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a hard time figuring this out as well. If you have a factory hardtop it has what are called rain gutters on the sides.

you need these

Thule 300 Rain Gutter Foot Pack - Thule Rain Gutter Foot Packs

there are 2 versions, a high and a low. I have the high only because I found them cheap.

and crossbars, I wanna say mine are 52"?

They are expensive, I would keep an eye on C-list or E Bay

Here is the only pic I could find of mine. Its from 3 years ago. I highly recommend Thule. This is the only ski rack I have ever had, its in the same condition as when I got it in 2004 on my xterra.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	520091

If you need to take it off to get into garage, takes me less than 5 min. Easy.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yakima or Thule roof systems that use a gutter would be best roof rack systems. I personally just throw my skis in the back and can still carry 4 people. Longest skis are 185 powder skis with the right placement they fit in no problems. I was trying to design a system that would mount off the roll cage inside the jeep but haven't nailed it yet...

Quick Reply: Ski rack