Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Skid Plates

Old 09-23-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_CuriousTracie
So far I have a Rubicon express engine pan skid, was about $100 Bucks and installed my self. no drilling or cutting to install uses factory bots and is a snug fit ( and when I say snug I mean snug lol). I will be eventually getting all rubicon express skid plates for my 2016 JKU. 1 because you can buy them individually so it is cheaper in the long run. 2 if you had to work on something underneath the JK you would not have to remove a heavy skid Plate ( the 1 piece design) to get to it.
I dealt with the heavy issue by getting the Rockhard Aluminum version. Since I am not aggressive in my rock crawling the rep said it would be fine. It is more expensive, but its 40 lbs lighter and the mechanic really likes the oil pan door.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojave MAX
I dealt with the heavy issue by getting the Rockhard Aluminum version. Since I am not aggressive in my rock crawling the rep said it would be fine. It is more expensive, but its 40 lbs lighter and the mechanic really likes the oil pan door.
I put a Fumoto valve on my oil pan. Connect a hose and open the valve. Makes it nice when you can drain it right into empty bottles.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the EVO ProTek oil pan skid and will eventually get the rest. An option to look at.

R/
Will
Old 09-23-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mojave MAX
that does not sound bad. how much would it cost?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rockhard 4X4 makes great skid plates and have great customer support. On my 2016 Rubicon JKU I have installed the Oil/Transmission Skid, Transfer Skid, Gas Tank Skid, and Evaporator Skid all in steel. Money well spent.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canvas
I have the EVO ProTek oil pan skid and will eventually get the rest. An option to look at. R/ Will
I second that. That's exactly what I did. They're strong as hell and very well thought out. They're also not a mud and dirt collection pan like many out there.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I were to do it again I would go this route - 07 11 Jeep Wrangler JK Engine and Transmission Skid Plate Textured Black | eBay

3/16s and super cheap. I have a JCR engine skid now, no complaints but obviously it'll cost you. Factory gas tank skid and transfer case skid are definitely worth keeping. I have the PSC evap skid and PSC diff covers as well.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your big into rock crawling and will use your skids I would caution against the evo set up. I used them and although they held up well the biggest challenge they posed was with their engine skid tying into the drives side control arm mount. Once you start bouncing on that skid you will make it challenging to remove or reinstall when working with that control arm. It's a good set up but I'm glad I swapped to the rock hard skids.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronin2120
If your big into rock crawling and will use your skids I would caution against the evo set up. I used them and although they held up well the biggest challenge they posed was with their engine skid tying into the drives side control arm mount. Once you start bouncing on that skid you will make it challenging to remove or reinstall when working with that control arm. It's a good set up but I'm glad I swapped to the rock hard skids.

That must be an old design because mine doesn't tie into any control arm mount.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Last edited by ReconJeep; 09-24-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ReconJeep

That must be an old design because mine doesn't tie into any control arm mount.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
You don't have the crossmember skid. That's the one which ties into the control arm mount

Quick Reply: Skid Plates