Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt. I dont think I am going to give them another chance.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt. I dont think I am going to give them another chance.

Just thought I would share my experience with smittybilt. I ordered their SRC rocker guard side steps Part# 76634 from autoanything.com. after receiving them I started installing the passenger side. I took I little bit of effort to get on cause the bolts did not line up very well but I did get it on. When I started the driver side it turned out that it lined up even worse. I tried getting it on for about 3 or 4 hours but it would not fit. To top it off I ended up stripping one of my body mount bolts. Sent them back with the hopes that it was just a defective pair and had autoanything just replace them. When I received the second pair they were no different.

So in conclusion I don’t trust smittybilt to build quality products and wont be buying anything of theirs again.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

I dont own the rockers but many of my friends do and never had any problems with fitment. I think the only thing 1 guy had to do drill out a hole a little bit. Not trying to bash you bc i know smittybilt doesnt have the best record for quality but you think you might have just tried the wrong approach to the install??
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
JK Junkie

either way Shittybilt has a horrible reputation for quality control and it just sucks because some of their products are really cool.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Smitty rockers are know to have TERRIBLE fitment and are weak as can be. I wont give smitty a chance on anything anymore. Too many fitment and quality issues.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really hit and miss. lots of problems and lots of success.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our SB XRC Rock Rails were a PITA to install but to be honest they've really outlasted my expectations for them...really had planned to replace them before now but they are still going strong and have lasted the Rubicon as well as Moab taking huge hits on each trail. Agree with some of the alignment issues but for quality at least the rock rails we have are doing there job.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Our SB XRC Rock Rails were a PITA to install but to be honest they've really outlasted my expectations for them...really had planned to replace them before now but they are still going strong and have lasted the Rubicon as well as Moab taking huge hits on each trail. Agree with some of the alignment issues but for quality at least the rock rails we have are doing there job.
LOL ... yes the XRC rock rails were a pain in the neck (literally) to intsall due to the location of the nuts and bolts and the clearance they give you to install them. They did fit fine .. and hopefully I won't ever have to remove them!

My only complaint about them is the rails are too close to the body to be used as a step.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sooooo happy I just read this thread. I was just about to drop some $$$ to get these rockers.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Default On a positive note

I have to agree that install on the passenger side bolt on one of them I had to enlarge the hole but no big deal. Driver side was fine. After install of my xrc they are truly awesome and the price is worth it especially for the money to enlarge one bolt hole is no biggy considering I saved hundreds. On the quality, I think they are great, I have hit a lot of rocks and no bending etc etc. Customer service is awesome and has replaced all of my Smittybilt products for free if anything happened from myself or manufacturer. So my opinion , I love it. I have rear bumber, rock rails and stinger!
Old 08-06-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

I had the trouble everyone has with these rockers but I think it's worth the savings. Two extrahours of my labor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3777909262.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	191483  

Quick Reply: Smittybilt. I dont think I am going to give them another chance.