Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smittybilt over head console and hard top

Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default smittybilt over head console and hard top

hey guys on my 2013 JKUR i installed a smittybilt overhead console now i cant get the freedom tops on in the front. the lock for the hard top is hitting the brack that holds the overhead console. the part that locks the hard top into place is hitting the bracket. looking for anyone who has done this or had an issue with it and how they fixed it?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a thread once (can't remember which forum) that the guy said he put on and removed the 2 freedom panels as a single piece. Meaning, clamp the two freedom panels together and then put them on as one piece.

I'm interested to hear if it works. Was thinking of getting the overhead console.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BombJock
I saw a thread once (can't remember which forum) that the guy said he put on and removed the 2 freedom panels as a single piece. Meaning, clamp the two freedom panels together and then put them on as one piece.

I'm interested to hear if it works. Was thinking of getting the overhead console.
It been a rough 2 days with this console going on 3 days now lol. My problem was the hard top was lifting in the center and you need to have the Footmans Loop on there to hold down the the tops. But with the way the kit was designed its for soft top only it seems. YOU NEED YOUR fOOTMANS LOOP IF YOU RUN A HARD TOP!! You have to drop it down 1/2" - 3/4". So what I did was grab some 2" "L" mounts with 2 holes on each side of the "L" bracket and some small 3/8" bolts with nuts combo package from Home Depot . Then cut 1 of the "L" brackets in half. Then grabbed the Footmans Loop and the bracket from the kit and mounted the "L" bracket that we cut in half on the bracket. From there you put the Footmans loop on 1st then the "L" bracket with the bracket 2nd. Then connect your console to the bracket make it snug not tight becuase it will make your hard top pop up again. I'll post pics when im done later tonight.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKEmmert77
It been a rough 2 days with this console going on 3 days now lol. My problem was the hard top was lifting in the center and you need to have the Footmans Loop on there to hold down the the tops. But with the way the kit was designed its for soft top only it seems. YOU NEED YOUR fOOTMANS LOOP IF YOU RUN A HARD TOP!! You have to drop it down 1/2" - 3/4". So what I did was grab some 2" "L" mounts with 2 holes on each side of the "L" bracket and some small 3/8" bolts with nuts combo package from Home Depot . Then cut 1 of the "L" brackets in half. Then grabbed the Footmans Loop and the bracket from the kit and mounted the "L" bracket that we cut in half on the bracket. From there you put the Footmans loop on 1st then the "L" bracket with the bracket 2nd. Then connect your console to the bracket make it snug not tight becuase it will make your hard top pop up again. I'll post pics when im done later tonight.
mine worked and I didn't do anything to it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1825126239.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	507154
Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2013 JKUR what year is yours? maybe its the new years? I dont know but when i went to lock the hard top in it lifts the hard top up allow anything to come through the gap it created. got any advice or pics? Just looking at yours the hard top balck piece looks further back then mine?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKEmmert77
I have a 2013 JKUR what year is yours? maybe its the new years? I dont know but when i went to lock the hard top in it lifts the hard top up allow anything to come through the gap it created. got any advice or pics? Just looking at yours the hard top balck piece looks further back then mine?
mine is an 07. But I still don't see what the problem could be but maybe the plate on the over head isn't position right
Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Did you ever take a picture of the brackets you made? Got a good deal on the older model not knowing it wouldn't fit 11+ model JKs.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Flexer07
mine is an 07. But I still don't see what the problem could be but maybe the plate on the over head isn't position right
I have a 2010 jk and the middle kinda lifts up but i dont have the gear bag yet.
Reading all this kinda makes me not want to get it but i would love to have it for all my First responder gear.....
Did you come across this problem?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by forsaken700
I have a 2010 jk and the middle kinda lifts up but i dont have the gear bag yet. Reading all this kinda makes me not want to get it but i would love to have it for all my First responder gear..... Did you come across this problem?
I don't have a problem with mine. I have my cb mounted on it

Name:	image-3774485804.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	522176
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2011 and newer models

so that everyone knows, if you have a 2011 JK/U and want this with a HARDTOP, you must make your own bracket. because it will not work.
people who have the older models for some od reason don't have a problem with the hardtop and this.

these pics are of the install with the supplied bracket. as you can see without that fabric part due to the fact the hartop will not even lay at all. with out you can force it but these hardtops are weak and fragile at best.

Name:	CIMG0344.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	543047Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0343.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	543048Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0342.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	543049Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0341.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	543050

once I make a bracket to utilize the 2 holes(? but only 1 bolt...hmmm) I will take pics. I have a friend that's good with this stuff.

Quick Reply: smittybilt over head console and hard top