JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   smittybilt overhead console hardtop? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/smittybilt-overhead-console-hardtop-316458/)

RC3 02-04-2015 12:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by madmaths (Post 4044910)
Hi!! I have a 2015 rubicon with the soft and the hard top ( the hard top on the 2015 use the middle footloop ) I would like to know if any one was able to make it fit with a hard top using the middle loop!?

thanks

I have a 2013 and I made it work with the hardtop. I got the idea from someone on the forum, but can't remember who (maybe Augi?).

I removed the front footman loop as the directions state. If you are running a soft top, the console comes with one that you can install as needed. I also removed the front, middle L latch on the hardtop and I drilled a hole in the console plate directly underneath the hole left from the removed L latch bolt.
Attachment 595293

I purchased a bolt to fit into the threaded hole in the freedom panel.
Attachment 595294

I then screwed this new bolt, with a washer, up through the concole and into the freedom panel. This pulls the front of the freedom panels down against the console just enough to make up for the missing L latch.
Attachment 595300

It works great. No leaks, no wind noise, and I just need a 13mm wrench to remove the freedom panel. Another option I tried, was to use a short piece of threaded rod and a wing nut. This worked well also, and allows top removal without needing a wrench.

As for the rear L latch - I can reach my fingers in between the top and the console just enough to close the latch when replacing the freedom panels. And to remove the panels - I release all of the other L latches, and then gently push up on the rear of the panels and access the latch.

I love the console. It has given me a place to mount my CB, some LED map lights and of course, the pouches that come with the console to keep pens, cash, sunglasses, etc.

Attachment 595307
Attachment 595308

augichef 02-05-2015 06:59 PM

Here are some pics of the brackets i used to install the overhead unit so i can fit my hand in between the unit and panels.

Attachment 440690
Here you can see where i trimmed the plastic header to make room for the bracket
Attachment 440689
Here you can see how the bracket pieces are installed on top of the footmens loop and how it drops the overhead unit down a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch
Attachment 440691
This is a pic of my overhead unit, as you can see i added some straps to pull the bags tighter to the unit they seem to hang down a bit. This makes it to where i can't really see them in my rear view mirror.
Attachment 440692
I have the matching tailgate unit as well

As for my overhead unit i have a bunch of maps, flashlight, compass, tire gauge, sun screen, bug spray, sun glasses, fuses, Alabama chrome, electrical tape, rescue knife, pens, paper, zip ties, gum/candy, small first aid kit, WD40, lighter/matches, and other stuff i can't remember off the top of my head.

Here are a few tips i have about the overhead unit:
1. mine squeaked like crazy where it mounts over the rear speaker console. so i add so black grip mat i bought from the hardware store. i tightened the mounts down after i installed the grip mat and bye bye squeaking.
2. the bags hang down a bit due to filling it with stuff so i added some straps to pull them closer to the unit itself

The overhead unit works with a soft top just fine since it asks you to remove the footmens loop and replace it with the bracket that comes with the unit but i only run with my soft top on during the summer. So i figured this would be the best way to make it work without doing to much modding. I went and bought a package of stainless corner brackets like these:
Attachment 440702
I cut them at the bend giving me two exact pieces with equally matched holes.

That's it, in a nut shell. Good luck to those who are looking at getting this overhead unit. I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone that has seen mine loves it.

Augi:beer:

RC3 02-14-2015 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by augichef (Post 4050581)
Here are some pics of the brackets i used to install the overhead unit so i can fit my hand in between the unit and panels.

Attachment 440690
Here you can see where i trimmed the plastic header to make room for the bracket
Attachment 440689
Here you can see how the bracket pieces are installed on top of the footmens loop and how it drops the overhead unit down a good 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch
Attachment 440691
This is a pic of my overhead unit, as you can see i added some straps to pull the bags tighter to the unit they seem to hang down a bit. This makes it to where i can't really see them in my rear view mirror.
Attachment 440692
I have the matching tailgate unit as well

As for my overhead unit i have a bunch of maps, flashlight, compass, tire gauge, sun screen, bug spray, sun glasses, fuses, Alabama chrome, electrical tape, rescue knife, pens, paper, zip ties, gum/candy, small first aid kit, WD40, lighter/matches, and other stuff i can't remember off the top of my head.

Here are a few tips i have about the overhead unit:
1. mine squeaked like crazy where it mounts over the rear speaker console. so i add so black grip mat i bought from the hardware store. i tightened the mounts down after i installed the grip mat and bye bye squeaking.
2. the bags hang down a bit due to filling it with stuff so i added some straps to pull them closer to the unit itself

The overhead unit works with a soft top just fine since it asks you to remove the footmens loop and replace it with the bracket that comes with the unit but i only run with my soft top on during the summer. So i figured this would be the best way to make it work without doing to much modding. I went and bought a package of stainless corner brackets like these:
Attachment 440702
I cut them at the bend giving me two exact pieces with equally matched holes.

That's it, in a nut shell. Good luck to those who are looking at getting this overhead unit. I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone that has seen mine loves it.

Augi:beer:

I was able to avoid the rattling and squeaking by screwing the console down to the top of the sport bar with self drilling screws. I did this in place of the supplied clamps.

I like the "strap around the bags" idea a lot. I will steal that.

546875674c6966650d0a 11-05-2018 09:38 PM

molle platforms solutions | 2007-18 JK, JKU overhead molle panels

I was thinking about the Smittybilt gear thing as well but then found these through an old thread here. Looks like this panel will allow you to keep the loop and still use hard tops with it installed.