Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt rear bumper

Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt rear bumper

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	674686Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	674687

I recently installed this bumper on my 2014. The instructions do not mention what this device is....anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like it pins the handle to keep the latch from opening as you're going down the road.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I agree with Jordy. In the past, they have had several issues with the latch coming undone....and the tire swing flying open while in motion. I've experienced this first hand...It aint fun! Anyhow, they resolved a lot of the issue with a different piece that you don't have pictured.....so I presume they have changed directions and are now using a locking pin instead. That looks to be a MUCH better idea. Regardless of what one might think about Smitty or any other manufacturer, it's nice to see constant striving to make improvements in products. Trust me.....be happy you have that pin there, and by all means, use it even though it's an additional step!

Can you confirm that when the pin is locked in place, you are unable to lift the handle up and open the swing?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

OK, that makes sense. I guess it is adjustable (and it is adjusted "wrong") right now, as it does not move.....I will look at it when I get home this evening. Maybe t is screwed either too tightly or loosely.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Good choice on the bumper. I have that on my 2012 except without the tire carrier. It really improves the towing of a heavy load, particularly if used with a weight distribution hitch.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

I am happy with the bumper overall...looks and function. Except for the issue noted above, but I got it figured out.
It is a spring loaded pin, designed to "lock" the handle from turning when it is closed. Thus preventing it swinging open by accident, as referenced above. Unfortunately, the inner in was bent, and not functioning, that's what had me stumped.
I called the Smittybilt tech support # and they are sending me a replacement one. I even ordered a spare..."just in case".
Guess we can call this case closed!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by 82Trooper
I am happy with the bumper overall...looks and function. Except for the issue noted above, but I got it figured out.
It is a spring loaded pin, designed to "lock" the handle from turning when it is closed. Thus preventing it swinging open by accident, as referenced above. Unfortunately, the inner in was bent, and not functioning, that's what had me stumped.
I called the Smittybilt tech support # and they are sending me a replacement one. I even ordered a spare..."just in case".
Guess we can call this case closed!
y, their customer service is pretty good. Long ago when I had the gen1 XRC rear with tire carrier I had problems with this very issue. They sent me the newly designed piece at the time and it didn't help much. They ended up sending me a entirely new bumper and new tire swing.....and told me to do as I pleased with the old one. That bumper took on some trail damage otherwise I'd probably still have it. I have their 10k X20 winch and the wireless remote died out of warranty. They sent me a new transmitter and remote with hardly a question asked.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same latch. SB sent it to me free when I told them my swingout came open on the road while moving. Not good.

The reason yours is stuck or "frozen" is because it's overtightened. I had the same issue. Plus make sure the keyring aligns with the slot. A little lube might help. Your keyring looks all stretched out. I would put a new one in there.

On a side note, I think they make most swingouts now that just attach to the rear door so you don't have to open one and then the other. A PITA which is why I ditched mine eventually.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt rear bumper