Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Smittybilt Tire Carrier

Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smittybilt Tire Carrier

Is any one using this tire carrier?

Smittybilt 2743 - Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier in Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I am only planning on running 33's so they shouldn't be a huge weight difference than the stocks. I would love a rear bumper with a carrier, but this may do the job just as well. I don't get the opportunity to do much wheelin' (most because there are not many places to go in the NOVA area). It looks like it just a beefier version of the stock carrier, that distributes the weight better.

Any feed back is appreciated.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A 33 should fit on the stock, I'm not sure what you'd be gaining with this setup. The major concern is the weight of the wheel/tire warping the tailgate and this kit doesn't do anything for that. It still puts a lot of stress on the tailgate hinges.

Having a Rubicon with 32" stock I never had an issue with the stock carrier. When I stepped up to 35" it still fit, but I found my tailgate warping. That's even after installing the reinforced bolts to beef up the stock carrier. The hinges, specifically the internal welds, are what isn't strong enough for the weight.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not worth it... I ran it for a little bit but no benefits behind it... the way the tire goes on it sucks. With a 33 I wouldn't worry to much unless its one of the heavier tires. If you still want something for reassurance check out teraflexs hinged tire carrier..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

That kinda the response I thought I might get. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwfunrider
That kinda the response I thought I might get. Thanks.
I like mine. I have 35"s on stock wheels and it wouldn't fit on the factory carrier. I tried a relocation bracket but I couldn't get bump stops long enough to reach the tire. This carrier took care of all my problems. The tire does add weight to the gate and that will cause the hinges to wear sooner. I believe most of the problems with the gate warping is due to the tire vibrating when the gate is shut or you run over a bump on the highway. If you tire touches the rubber isolators on the tailgate, IMO you should be fine with a 33" tire back there.

Edit: I actually have the Bestop version but they look identical.

Last edited by SBEII; 08-15-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: I'm retarded.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt Tire Carrier