Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Smittybilt Winch

Old 01-07-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Smittybilt Winch

I am strongly considering getting the Smittybilt XRC front bumper. So I am looking for a winch to go with it. I am looking at the Smitty winches also. I like their new X20 winches, but I don't know if it is worth it to get the comp series.

It looks like the only difference is synthetic rope for the comp series. I was thinking the 8000 lb one so the difference in price is 150 between the two. Is it worth that for synthetic and also is 8000 pounds enough for a two door with no other major mods?

On a side note should I even go with a winch/bumper first or should I do tires and wheels? I can really only afford one or the other right now. And the tires would only be 33s because I can't do a lift other than Rubi springs.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm biased as I have an XRC10 Comp. I would say the extra $100- $150 for synthetic is worth it, if for nothing more than it saves you 30-35lbs of weight. I think the XRC8 would be ok for a 2 door.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

I just installed the XRC8 comp w/synthetic on my 2dr. I'm very satisfied.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

All about personal preference.. Dropping the weight and no little wire splinters is a pretty good pro... On the other hand, weather/elements are harder on synthetic rope, and I would not want wrather have my steel line rubbing on a rock or tree as well... Like I said, it's really a personal preference in my opinion. I'm running an Xrc10 with steel line and think its def worth the $399 shipped...
Old 01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

My bad haha, I'd wrather NOT have my syn rope rubbing on rocks or trees for fraying purposes...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

I have had the XRC 10 with cable for over two years....and it has saved my butt a few times....love it...and it was cheap!!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08HokieJK
I am strongly considering getting the Smittybilt XRC front bumper. So I am looking for a winch to go with it. I am looking at the Smitty winches also. I like their new X20 winches, but I don't know if it is worth it to get the comp series.

It looks like the only difference is synthetic rope for the comp series. I was thinking the 8000 lb one so the difference in price is 150 between the two. Is it worth that for synthetic and also is 8000 pounds enough for a two door with no other major mods?

On a side note should I even go with a winch/bumper first or should I do tires and wheels? I can really only afford one or the other right now. And the tires would only be 33s because I can't do a lift other than Rubi springs.

Thanks for all the help.
I went bumper / winch route first as I figured that I could always get stuck no matter what size tires and lift I had on the Jeep. It is really what you are going to do the most with your rig though. If you are after looks more than function then recovery may not be your biggest concern. Personally I do a lot of offroad alone and can't rely on someone to pull me out so the winch was a must have for me. I am still on stock Rubicon wheels & tires for a while until I wear the tires out.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pushrod

I went bumper / winch route first as I figured that I could always get stuck no matter what size tires and lift I had on the Jeep. It is really what you are going to do the most with your rig though. If you are after looks more than function then recovery may not be your biggest concern. Personally I do a lot of offroad alone and can't rely on someone to pull me out so the winch was a must have for me. I am still on stock Rubicon wheels & tires for a while until I wear the tires out.
Yeah that was kind of my thinking. And it looks like I should just do the synthetic from the start.

Thanks for all the advice
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Installed an smittybuilt x20 in my mbrp/ocf front bumper and glad I stayed metal cable since the winch is set in the bumper there is no way to put a cover over it. Something to consider.

Quick Reply: Which Smittybilt Winch