Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So which front drive shaft should I buy?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So which front drive shaft should I buy?

Well it happened... tore the front boot while at JK Fest this weekend. I know from reading other posts that I can drive for a while like this but I'm proactive on replacing parts that could potenetially fail.

So which front driveshaft gives you the most bang for the buck? Of course I'm looking for the all inclusive CV style (ie yokes, etc.) so this doesnt happen to me again.

Not that I'm going to use a factory one, but has anyone had the dealer replace one under warranty on a modified JK?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PirateKitty
Well it happened... tore the front boot while at JK Fest this weekend. I know from reading other posts that I can drive for a while like this but I'm proactive on replacing parts that could potenetially fail.

So which front driveshaft gives you the most bang for the buck? Of course I'm looking for the all inclusive CV style (ie yokes, etc.) so this doesnt happen to me again.

Not that I'm going to use a factory one, but has anyone had the dealer replace one under warranty on a modified JK?
I highly recommend finding a drive line shop in your area. If you must order, not sure - I had some problems with my jereels (the reason I recommend a shop).
Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the input, but in an effort to keep costs down we only buy stuff that we can install.

Seeking input on what brands you guys bought and how satisifed with the product... any issues encountered during install?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

I did the same thing over the weekend at rousch. Im looking at the je reel 1350. Everyone at the event recommended them.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

there are many things that go into driveshafts. sue you can call and order one or pick it out of a catalog, but in the long run..... that guy out in california.... is he going to answer the phone on saturday afternoon, or be able to LOOK at it monday morning and have it fixed the next day? i think and this is what i am going to do, go to your local driveshaft shop. it may be more expensive, but if the shop knows what they are doing and you have the suspension where you want it, they are going put the suspension through the full movement and make a one off shaft for YOUR JEEP! THIS IS A KEY ROLL IN MAKING A DRIVESHAFT WORK AND ALIVE FOR A LONG TIME!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got JE Reel in the back (1310)...sturdy so far and no problems. Can't go wrong with local (as long as they know what they're doing), Tom Woods, or JE Reels imho.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

I have had the JE Reel 1350's for about a year. They work great. Come with all parts and seem fairly straight forward to install. There are some install pics here: http://project-jk.com/wp-gallery2.ph...3968&g2_page=1

The shafts are available from 4wd.com.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input, but in an effort to keep costs down we only buy stuff that we can install.
The shop was cheaper than my reels. Their quality (fit/balance) is significantly better than my reels. Might be worth a couple phone calls to see whats available before ordering.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeking input on what brands you guys bought and how satisifed with the product... any issues encountered during install?
By a shop he means a local shop that can make driveshafts. They are usually much less than going through JE Reel or Tom Woods, and you get just as nice of a product and local service if you ever do have an issue.

If you choose not to get a local company to make them for you then I would go with Tom Woods. I know that you may need to replace either the pinion or transfer case flange, but this will give you a longer drive shaft, and a more reliable drive shaft since the only thing that could go wrong is the u joint which is an easy replacement.

Last edited by Littlejon; 10-15-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

help. Can someone explain why the stock jeep shaft is not so good?

In the picture below, I am guessing (talking out of my butt) that the stock shaft has a universal joint on one end, and a CV joint on the other, while the aftermarket has a U joint on both ends. Is that better? If so, why the heck doesn't Jeep build that way?

If I go to a local shop, what do they use?

thanks

Quick Reply: So which front drive shaft should I buy?