Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

So, I expierenced the Death Wobble last night.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I expierenced the Death Wobble last night.

I'm interested in hearing you're expierence if you have had the misfortune of expierencing the death wobble.

Here is mine:
I had recently done some off roading and had droped my tire pressure to 20-22psi. (I wonder if this had anything to do with the wobble).
I was driving down I-15 in Lehi, Utah, when as I was driving arround a curve in the freeway I hit a small bump in the road (where the pavement transitions to a concrete surface that is the top of an overpass). Within about a second it went from the typical shake you feel in a jeep when you hit a bump to a violent shaking and wobble. I'd seen many threads on the subject and instantly knew this IS the DEATH WOBBLE.
Again I'm on the freeway doing about 65 arround a curve. I loose some control over the jeep and drift a little into the next lane. As soon as I felt the death wobble I applied steady break pressure and I was able to get to the side of the road and stop. Fortunatly this was about 11pm and there were few cars on the road at the time.
I got out and it was dark but I checked everything out, and everything appeared to be in tact, so I got in my Jeep and slowly drove away. Everything now seems fine.

I wonder if those that expierence it have anything in common (ie. 2 doors or 4, speed, road condition such as potholes or bumps or curves, Lift, long arm or short arm, bigger tires, etc.) or if it is a problem for all JKs. Was it a problem with TJs?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
JK Junkie

You weren't running on the highway at 20 psi, were you?

The most common reason I have found for death wobble is a loose front trackbar, but I would retorque everything front and rear. I always spend an hour or 2 after a wheeling trip to retorque everything, grease, clean, and do a damage assessment. You would be suprised what you can shake loose when you wheel

Edit: I havent experienced death wobble in our JK yet, but I ve experienced it several times in my old XJ's. It was almost always caused by a loose trackbar. Thats why I retorque everything now. When I was younger I didnt know any better, so I learned the hard way.... lol

Last edited by bly109; 07-11-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bly109

The most common reason I have found for death wobble is a loose front trackbar, but I would retorque everything front and rear. I always spend an hour or 2 after a wheeling trip to retorque everything, grease, clean, and do a damage assessment. You would be suprised what you can shake loose when you wheel
I was going down the freeway at 20psi. I know I shouldn't have been.

I've been meaning to retorque everything, an will do this weekend. I'm sure it is a good idea to retorque, and greese after every trip, I'll start doing that.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by I Drill
I was going down the freeway at 20psi. I know I shouldn't have been.

I've been meaning to retorque everything, an will do this weekend. I'm sure it is a good idea to retorque, and greese after every trip, I'll start doing that.
I dont know for sure, but I would think just the low pressure could cause it or at least compound it

Good luck, I hope its a quick fix for you
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont know for sure, but I would think just the low pressure could cause it or at least compound it

Good luck, I hope its a quick fix for you
Thanks, I too felt the low psi would be a big factor.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Edit: I havent experienced death wobble in our JK yet, but I ve experienced it several times in my old XJ's. It was almost always caused by a loose trackbar. Thats why I retorque everything now. When I was younger I didnt know any better, so I learned the hard way.... lol
x2 tightness and airpressure

check everything for tightness, and move steering wheel slowley side to side, and look for loose or broken components....front and rear trac-bar...and any other stuff......the rear track bar brakes little wobbly broke that last year...drivable............front tracbar fails and completely tears off axle, woooow just hold on...@15 and pothole, it is a very exciting ride, from one lane to other....if it had happend at highway speeds it would have not been pretty, i think it would have been wheels op at the bottom of the mountain...

I inspect my jeep on a regular basis, but some times we miss stuff....that usually doesnt mess up...
Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the air pressure up to 35psi.

While inspecting and retorquing everything there were two bolts that were fairly loose. Both were the bolts connecting the sway bar links to the sway bar. One in the front left and one on the back right. Everything else checked out including the track bar.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I Drill
I've got the air pressure up to 35psi.

While inspecting and retorquing everything there were two bolts that were fairly loose. Both were the bolts connecting the sway bar links to the sway bar. One in the front left and one on the back right. Everything else checked out including the track bar.
that should have helped alot, (airpressure, and tightened bolts), it that doesnt' help, look at alignment and steering stabilizer...hopefully wobble goes away...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

mud and dirt in the rims will also do this..
Old 07-13-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope someone nails down the solution for this 'Death wobble". I have a 4 year old sitting in the back seat and this issue is always on my mind while I'm driving. Hopefully no one gets killed from this mystery. I'm sure if someone finds a definitive solution to this it will probably be derived from this great Forum.
I can deal with the minor issues but "Death wobble"? If it ever happens to me and we live to tell about it the JK is gone!
End of story!

Quick Reply: So, I expierenced the Death Wobble last night.