Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So now what do I do with this?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So now what do I do with this?

All I want to do is carry 2 kayaks. I got a sick deal for this rack. From what understand it supports Yakima and Thule carriers, but how? Do I still need cross bars? And if I do, which ones. To be honest its shocking how complicated and expensive all the racks out there are. It seems like none of them do what you need them to out of the box and you need to spend hundreds more just to carry something on your roof.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Nice looking rack. When I put two kayaks on my cheap-o roof rack, I just took a ratchet strap from one side, over kayak 1, caught the cross bar on the front, over kayak 2, and attached it to the other side. Repeat the process for the rear and then just a safety line through the drag straps (incorrect terminology?) of the kayaks.

Your rack looks different though so maybe move the basket up and do the same thing I did but use your basket for the front and then your rear cross bar for the rear.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

It does look like, depending on the kayaks, you could just strap them down directly. If you wanted to go with a dedicated carrier, you would need load bars. Thule has their crossroad foot that lets you clamp load bars to whatever you have, the side rails of that rack should be fine. I use them to get load bars on the stock roll bars.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I don’t want to strap it directly to the rack so I’ll look into those crossbars. I just ordered these.

Car Rack & Carriers Universal Saddles Kayak Carrier Canoe Boat. Surf Ski Roof Top Mounted on Car SUV Crossbar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MMGHCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pA5LCbFJ6FP3V

i think I can mount these directly to the platform. Hopefully I’ll have room for two kayaks side by side. This will be optimal.

what will piss me off is if I have to spend a few hundred more on bars. This is an 1800 rack. Even though I got it almost brand new for 900, it’s hard to swallow that I have to spend more money just to properly carry a kayak.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by powrsurg

Thanks guys. I don’t want to strap it directly to the rack so I’ll look into those crossbars. I just ordered these.

Car Rack & Carriers Universal Saddles Kayak Carrier of cheap canoe Boat. Surf Ski Roof Top Mounted on Car SUV Crossbar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074MMGHCL..._pA5LCbFJ6FP3V

i think I can mount these directly to the platform. Hopefully I’ll have room for two kayaks side by side. This will be optimal.

what will piss me off is if I have to spend a few hundred more on bars. This is an 1800 rack. Even though I got it almost brand new for 900, it’s hard to swallow that I have to spend more money just to properly carry a kayak.
Would you like to sale it i want to buy or can you explain that this is for all types of car or not...? How to fix it on car....? Actually this is too good i try to visit you amazon link but can follow what is the pecs of this is this for wide car roof....?

Quick Reply: So now what do I do with this?