Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft top noob

Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top noob

Im on my third jeep and Ive never had one with a soft top. They've all had hard tops. I was wondering if anyone could kind of explain to me whats the difference between a frameless and a framed top? Also if I wanted to get a soft top for the summers are they hard to install and could I find a durable one for under $1200?

By the way I drive a two-door.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means but I just installed a soft top on my 2 door a couple of months ago. The framed tops are exactly that, they have a metal frame. This is what I got, a Bestop Supertop NX, which is very similar to the factory soft top.

Frameless has no frame. It attaches to the roll bar and I'm sure other attachment points but have never installed one. I believe they all have removeable rear windows but only some have removeable side windows. Not sure if they have some kind of sunrider position as well. If you want a completely open top, you have to remove it as opposed the the framed one that just folds back. The Supertop NX has the sunrider option which allows you to quickly flip the front back exposing just the front seats. Easy to pop back if rain starts.

Bestop is good quality and actually make the tops for Jeep that come stock. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

I just got my Bestop Trektop NX (A frameless Soft top) to use in the summer time. The rear window, as well as the sides zip out in just a few seconds. I can leave the top part on as a bikini top or fold the front section back as a sunrider. I paid less than $700 and love the top. Seems very durable, very high quality, and looks sooooo badass
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go to Craigslist or other sale area and pick up a brand new OEM top. I picked up mine for $300 from a guy who got the dual top group and didn't want the soft top. His jeep was 3 weeks old and he never touched the soft top. My deal is not unusual, but prices vary from $250-$600. Be patient they will show up.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thankyou everyone! Appreciate it
Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you intend to get an OEM soft top, be sure you have the two mounting brackets that go on the rear diagonal roll bar frame. On model years 07-12 it is one version that costs about $60, and from '13 on they cost $20. Buy the four mounting screws/bolts at Lowes, they're 4 for $3, they're six bucks each at the dealer. Just ask the dealer what the size is, it's a metric something like m6x20-16. (Verify that size at the dealer).
If you do get one, two more things are advisable.
One: get an installation video from YouTube, and do it on a hot sunny day, the fabric is very stiff at first and is very frustrating to install.

Last edited by Tomsryt; 06-12-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Soft top noob