Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

soft top, soft top boot and flexatrunk questions

Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top, soft top boot and flexatrunk questions

My '08 unlimited is getting close and I've been on quite the shopping spree lately. I need some info before I can decide what to get. To give you some info I live in Mazatlan, Mexico most of the year so the top will be down completely for 8-9 months with a bikini top on and then up or down the other months depending upon how hot it is or if it rains (can be daily during rainy season).

1. Once I have a lot of practice what is about the fastest up and down with the top on the 4 doors?

2. If the top is going to be off/down for months on end do you recommend taking the top completely out of the jeep or get a boot for it and keep it on? I do really like how the top looks with the boot on buuuuutttttt....................

3. I was all set on getting the flexatrunk until I found out you can't use it with the boot. What do you recommend; taking the top completely off the jeep for those months, using the flexatrunk and then keeping the top on those other months but just not in the boot if it's down or skip the flexatrunk all together and using the boot whenever I darn well feel like it?

Like I said, I really like the look with the boot on but haven't seen a photo with the soft top completely off for comparison. I don't necessarily need the flexatrunk but I worry about sub getting ripped plus it would be nice to have a place where I can keep a tow strap, high lift plus stow my surf board bags and clothes while I'm in the water.

Btw- would the 48" high lift fit inside the flexatrunk? I believe the width of the flexatrunk is 40" but going diagonally I'd think you'd gain another 8" or so.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by red7
I live in Mazatlan, Mexico
Was there just last month, been there no less than 10 times, love it! Interested in the answers to your questions as Phx, AZ weather is similar (except humidity here is lower). Funny you mention ripped subs, I have ripped 2 - stay away from paper cones and foam surrounds, plastic cones and rubber surrounds like my new JBL's are the way to go -
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=SUB&ser=GTS
Old 07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can change the top with practice in 4-5 min (put it up or down ).

If it is going to be down most of the time for an extended period I would remove it altogether (manufacturer recomends this also).

If you take the top off all together you can use the flexa trunk but I dont think it fits with the OE woofer either?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Default flex-a-trunk answer

Best-top flex-a-trunk does work with the factory sub but will not work with the mopar soft top boot. I speak from experience
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HatchetMan
Was there just last month, been there no less than 10 times, love it! Interested in the answers to your questions as Phx, AZ weather is similar (except humidity here is lower). Funny you mention ripped subs, I have ripped 2 - stay away from paper cones and foam surrounds, plastic cones and rubber surrounds like my new JBL's are the way to go -
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/prod...at=SUB&ser=GTS
I lived in Phoenix (Tempe and Gilbert) for 7 years with a 2 year stint up in Prescott before moving down here to Mazatlan last year. I'll be picking my Jeep up from Earnhardt's hopefully sometime in August. Btw- you wouldn't happen to have experience installing lifts would you? I'm going to put on a FT ultimate while I'm in Phoenix and think I'll be able to handle it but it sure wouldn't hurt to be able to call someone if I have a few questions.

I'd like to get some more opinions based upon your experiences. How much more time does it take to take the top completely out of the jeep vs just putting it down? If it's unanimous that the top should come out if I won't use it for 8+ months then I'm definitely going to get the flexatrunk to cover up my sub. How unruly is the top when it's not in a boot? Are there straps that keep it rolled up nicely or is it kind of a mess? Is there any other type of cover that would work with flexatrunk? Man, I sure wish bestop would just make a flexatrunk that works with the boot and I'd be set.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

HOw long does it take you guys just to pop out the three windows on your soft tops compared to taking the whole top off? I'm thinking of getting a clover patch for the windows.

I'm curious how much quicker it is to just pop the windows out of the soft top then it is to put on and take off the bestop bikini top? I was set on getting the bikini top (and probably will anyway) but it really doesn't seem all that different than the soft top without windows. My main thing is wanting to keep shade on me and the passengers 'cuz the sun down here is so strong!

Quick Reply: soft top, soft top boot and flexatrunk questions