Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softening the stock suspension?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softening the stock suspension?

Okay so I have searched then interwebs and the forums, and I can't find the right answer so here I am making a new thread for some insight, I'm sure somewhere out there someone has asked this but anyways so here we go...
First, I have a 2017 2 door JK sport. My intentions as of right now is to run a 33" tire (nitto) because I'm broke as hell and have a budget to work with and since I'm not hitting serious trails it doesn't matter. Anyhow, my best friend told me that it rides terrible and I know this, it is pretty bad, and I know it's a jeep so whatever anyhow, is there some type of way to get a softer ride out of my stock suspension? I'm considering changing shocks to the bilsteins, (I think they're the 4600? Blue and yellow color.) would changing springs be an option as well? Is there a difference between sport springs and rubicon springs? Would that be worth looking into? I'm just trying to see what my options are. The jeep is my daily btw so I'm looking for a softer on road drive, streets are quite bumpy around here. Just trying to catch an idea, if I had my way I'd be having a RK 2.5 inch lift with the bilstein 5100's... but I can't have my way right now. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsadi94
Okay so I have searched then interwebs and the forums, and I can't find the right answer so here I am making a new thread for some insight, I'm sure somewhere out there someone has asked this but anyways so here we go...
First, I have a 2017 2 door JK sport. My intentions as of right now is to run a 33" tire (nitto) because I'm broke as hell and have a budget to work with and since I'm not hitting serious trails it doesn't matter. Anyhow, my best friend told me that it rides terrible and I know this, it is pretty bad, and I know it's a jeep so whatever anyhow, is there some type of way to get a softer ride out of my stock suspension? I'm considering changing shocks to the bilsteins, (I think they're the 4600? Blue and yellow color.) would changing springs be an option as well? Is there a difference between sport springs and rubicon springs? Would that be worth looking into? I'm just trying to see what my options are. The jeep is my daily btw so I'm looking for a softer on road drive, streets are quite bumpy around here. Just trying to catch an idea, if I had my way I'd be having a RK 2.5 inch lift with the bilstein 5100's... but I can't have my way right now. Thanks in advance.
I changed my stock sport shocks to Rubi's when I added 4 door springs and my wife even noticed the difference.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

What kind of 4 door springs did you put on?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could lower your tire pressure a bit. What are they set at now?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Look at your tires and tire pressure. Don't run a heavy duty E rated truck tire. For a softer ride you should avoid Rubicon coil overs and shocks as they are going to give you the opposite. 4 door coils are going to have a higher coil rate and give a rougher ride. For softer look for a 2 door soft top base model and add a small spacer lift on top of them to regain the lost height. You might want to look at the Rancho shocks with the compression adjusters so you can soften the ride by lowering the compression on them. You can also check with Bilstien on the valving of the 4600 series shocks as most people run their 5100 series that thens to ride a bit stiffer. Old Man Emu nitro sport gave a softer ride vs the 5100's when I compared the two on the same set up.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree with the above post if not going offroad get some low numbered coils and add spacers. lower your psi to 28-32psi with your stock tires and go with a softer tire than Nitto. Nitto's are great but are built on the same carcass as Toyo and while I love them they generally run E rated in bigger sizes. rancho 5000X are inexpensive shocks and ride very nice. I have compared them directly to 7000mts and 5100's and the are much softer riding. I prefer the 5100 tho in daily driving.
look at your coils and see what the tags say on them. I have a set of low number rubicon 2 door coils I would sell but most likely yours are low numbers any way.

If you want a little lift for dirt cheap go with higher numbered coils and small spacers. I just pulled my aev 2.5 lift off and sold it and am waiting for my aev 3.5 lift to get here tomorrow and my jeep is my dd I had a set of 18/60 coils from my 4 door sitting around and a set of terafex 1/2 spacers so I threw those on. it drives incredibly well and gave me a nice lift. I previously have been a RK fanboy but not so much now. in fact I have a set of rear coils I will sell you for $100 shipped they are 2.5 4 door 3.5 2 door coils.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That RK kit is not going to improve your ride. Soft shocks and soft coils with the tire pressure as mentioned.

Those tires you're looking at are also the wrong choice. You'd want the softer sidewall for the softer ride.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running 18/59's. As mentioned they are a rough ride. You might want to consider the new Rancho 2" progressive kit. It has 4 coils and then your choice of 5000 or 9000 shocks....if the 2 door version ever comes out! The 4 door version with 9000's are under $600 which is a really good deal. You can't beat that or build one for that. This is the option I am looking at. A forum discount from a certain vendor will take it down to under $565!

Here is mine as it sits now with 18/59's Rubi shocks, TF 2" pucks in front and 1" in rear rolling on 255's. I will either upgraded to 33 or 295's. I was going to piece together some EVO 2" coils, Fox 2.0 shocks, rear spacer and brake extensions and it would be over $700 for that. With Bilstein 5100's would be about $570, With Rancho 9000's a little over $700. This is just with new front coils ad leaving the rear. Hell, rumor has it Rancho and Evo's coils are pretty close to the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rancho 2 331.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	670967

Do not forget Rancho has a rebate on their products use can use too...if the 2 door version comes out.

Last edited by catahoula; 04-27-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I know i have the stock sport coils on as well as the Wrangler SR-A's pretty sure the tire pressure is around 38.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsadi94
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I know i have the stock sport coils on as well as the Wrangler SR-A's pretty sure the tire pressure is around 38.
Generally the Sport has a pretty plush ride, almost too soft for most people, hence the reason they upgrade springs. Lower the tire pressure to 32 and see if that helps. A quality shock may also help but generally you won't get a harsh ride from those factory Sport Shocks.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 04-27-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Softening the stock suspension?