Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Something's got to give. Which will it be?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something's got to give. Which will it be?

Ok, so you've upgraded to super strong Chromalloy (or is that Kryptonite) axles. So now...

What is the weakest link? What would you rather break other than an axle on the trail? Carrier? Gears? What is your "fuse" to protect you from being totally disabled on the trail and saddled with expensive repair bills? Differential carrier and gear replacement is not as cheap or easy as popping out an axle and sliding a new one in, now is it?

Twist off a front axle and you have a RWD. Twist off a rear axle and you have a FWD. Still can limp home? Of course you might need minor surgery to remove broken parts, but nothing fancy.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

The u-joint is still a weak link, the caps can walk out or if your yokes are strong enough then you can break the actual nubs off of the cross. Keep some u-joints in the tool box and you can make it off the trail without much effort.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The u-joint should always be the goal for a fuse.

It is the easiest thing to repair on the trail and as KARLS stated, easy to keep a couple of spares and extra u-bolts in the tool box.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:41 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Our fuse is to not travel alone,pack extra parts,assemblies,and last not drive like an idiot
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by familytime
Our fuse is to not travel alone,pack extra parts,assemblies,and last not drive like an idiot
Great post!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
JK Freak

I run steel beadlocks and heavy military 37s. #1 reason why I haven't and am not upgrading to chromoly shafts. I'd rather snap an axle that shatter my diff.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still learning but an axle swap sounds like a DIY repair vs. taking it in to get the gears replaced (if you have limited mechanic skills like me!).

This post came at the perfect time since I'm considering going up to 37s and was ready to drop over $1100 on RCV axles! Saved me some serious coin I can put toward something else!

Last edited by flomingo; 11-13-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Junkie

Keep in mind that with the heavy tires and factory shafts that you may twist/ shear the splines, so certainly be ready for that situation. Factory axle shafts are cheap and plentiful.....until you need once, then they seem to be scarce.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls
Keep in mind that with the heavy tires and factory shafts that you may twist/ shear the splines, so certainly be ready for that situation. Factory axle shafts are cheap and plentiful.....until you need once, then they seem to be scarce.

Ok I'm about to purchase 37" MTR's w Kevlar for my 09 X JKU .... Upfront I have the PR 44 with dynatrac ball joints, Reid knuckles, RCV's and 5.13 gears...... After I add my 37's what's the weak point up front? Or can I wheel it pretty hard? THEN for the rear also 5.13 gears(of course) and I was thinking Yukon chromoly axle shafts in the rear when my ARB air locker goes in. Are you guys saying I shouldn't add the chromoly shafts while the air locker is going in? Are my gears the weak spot if I add the chromoly shafts back there??? What do spare U joints cost? Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ok I'm about to purchase 37" MTR's w Kevlar for my 09 X JKU .... Upfront I have the PR 44 with dynatrac ball joints, Reid knuckles, RCV's and 5.13 gears...... After I add my 37's what's the weak point up front? Or can I wheel it pretty hard? THEN for the rear also 5.13 gears(of course) and I was thinking Yukon chromoly axle shafts in the rear when my ARB air locker goes in. Are you guys saying I shouldn't add the chromoly shafts while the air locker is going in? Are my gears the weak spot if I add the chromoly shafts back there??? What do spare U joints cost? Thanks
there are no U joints in the rear... If you have RCV's in the front you don't have U joints at all, aside from maybe drive shafts.

Quick Reply: Something's got to give. Which will it be?